Home Network Upgrade Replacing ISP Provided Router

Associate
Hi All,

I am tired of all the issues surrounding ISP provided routers and the lack of functionality that comes with them.

I would like to upgrade to something more robust but not an all in one solution.

Wish List

£400 or under
Create different Vlans (for guest networks).
QOS

I have been looking at several solutions one being the Ubiquiti range but the switches are expensive compared to others. Other ideas would be to build my own Pfsense router and have something like Netgear switches.

My ISP is Virgin Media

Any help in this area would be fantastic. I am open to all ideas.

Associate
iv recently purchased a usg and i cant adopt it now matter what i do ?
does anyone now of an internet engineer in the wolverhampton area who provides a home visit service and the now ubiquity gear ?
any help would be great , thanks guys

Soldato
Hi All,

I am tired of all the issues surrounding ISP provided routers and the lack of functionality that comes with them.

I would like to upgrade to something more robust but not an all in one solution.

Wish List

£400 or under
Create different Vlans (for guest networks).
QOS

I have been looking at several solutions one being the Ubiquiti range but the switches are expensive compared to others. Other ideas would be to build my own Pfsense router and have something like Netgear switches.

My ISP is Virgin Media

Any help in this area would be fantastic. I am open to all ideas.

If you’re happy to go pfsense etc. then a cheap used Dell/Lenovo 6th gen i3 SFF system should set you back £60-70 used and a cheap 2-4pt Intel NIC with LP bracket should be a tenner or so. You can save a few watts by going newer, but you tend to pay significantly more for the privilege. If you prefer rack mount, R210-II’s are cheap on a well known auction site at present as someone’s done a reasonable sized decom again, with an SSD you’re looking at 45-55w depending on the CPU/RAM and load.

Back
Top Bottom