Home WiFi/Router Help

Man of Honour
Currently with Sky Broadband Fibre in our flat with decent speeds at the router (50-60) - generally most of my stuff is connected via LAN cable anyway (PC, Xbox, Fire TV) but there's a fair few Wireless devices in the house too (Mobiles, Tablets - a few Fire Sticks, etc).

I bought a Netgear D7000 almost 5 years ago and swapped out the Sky Hub and its been fine but the last couple of months the Wifi has been incredibly flaky; not even connecting at times while the LAN cabled devices operate fine.

I did the usual things (Checking WiFi channels for interference, updated router) but it doesn't seem to help.

I've plugged the old (5+ year old now) Sky Hub in; this hasn't affected my cabled use but the Wifi has been much more consistent; albeit a but slow and weak (there's a reason I bought the Netgear!)

I guess I'm pondering; should I just go back to using the Sky Hub and buy some kind of Wifi AP / Mesh System instead rather than replacing the router again?

The flat isn't huge but its a really old converted warehouse where the walls are 4 foot thick stone; its really hard if the router is in the centre to reach the entire flat!

Soldato
Wireless LAN is always going to struggle with over 1.4m of stone (are you sure the walls are 4’ thick?).

Whatever you put in other rooms will need to be wired for consistent speeds and adequate coverage. A mesh system is still WLAN so it will be slowed down by the walls. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an SDS drill bit that would go through 4’ of stone. So cabling up is going to be challenging as well!

Man of Honour
OP
Wireless LAN is always going to struggle with over 1.4m of stone (are you sure the walls are 4’ thick?).

Whatever you put in other rooms will need to be wired for consistent speeds and adequate coverage. A mesh system is still WLAN so it will be slowed down by the walls. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an SDS drill bit that would go through 4’ of stone. So cabling up is going to be challenging as well!

Cheers; I had wondered if some kind of Mesh or AP setup would "get round" the wall; its probably more like 3' rather than 4' one of what was an internal wall in the warehouse is the wall between my office and the main bedroom.
The rest of the flat isn't so bad as those walls are thinner but we still struggle to get a decent WiFi signal at the far end (more for the wife's mobile than anything; the TV is wired into a powerline adapter)

Back
Top Bottom