Home wired network

Soldato
Yep already scratched that :D
I was lucky in that I ran all my cables while I was installing the central heating pipework old house so there was an access channel up along the chimney where the old back boiler was enough to fit all my cables to upstairs and loft and all the pipework. Then it's a huge suspended floor enough to kneel up.
Upstairs a little tricker but you just get electricians rods and it's easy.

A lot of people don’t realise that racks have a front and a back. And the 1U power distribution units (PDU) are designed to mount at the back of the cabinet, not the front. While I’m definitely not a rack neat-freak, I couldn’t have a loose PDU floating about somewhere in my cabinet. And you don’t lose any of your 1U slots. Many folks also miss the fact that some of those PDUs also mount vertically in the cabinet so the cables go straight back and don’t foul the devices above and below.

Have you given any thought to a UPS? Keeping your network up during a power outage is a great thing.

Yeah definitely don't want anything loose on there while you're carrying it around.... Oh wait. Lol

Ups wise, I did think about it but realised it's mostly pointless unless the TV's and computers were also on a ups.
You'd basically be relying on mobiles and they have 4g so a non issue.

Soldato
Yeah definitely don't want anything loose on there while you're carrying it around.... Oh wait. Lol

You don’t need to move the cabinet, just slide something in or out of the rack. Best case scenario, there is enough cable in there and it just slides about. Next best scenario it pulls a plug out and you have to disassemble everything to get your hand in. Worst case scenario, you force it, break the PDU and it earths itself through the equipment in the cabinet.

Ups wise, I did think about it but realised it's mostly pointless unless the TV's and computers were also on a ups.

So what’s stopping you putting a computer on a UPS? And as great as 4G can be, when the power goes off, everyone will be on their 4G. Now that’s contention! WLAN always beats 4G. Even on a handheld.

Associate

They aren't pointless and will have to become standard for a lot of homes by 2025 if you want to make a phone call when the power goes out. You ideally want to move to a situation where your router, phone, and other equipment you need to make a phone call has a UPS attached to give 2hours+ time if you lose power.

Of course if your mobile masts are far away (and thus off a different substation) then the risk of your home and the mast losing power at the same time is minimised and not being able to make a phone call via them is minimal, so a UPS is just a nice to have.

Associate
This might be a daft question, what is happening in 2025 to make a UPS so essential?

Openreach are turning off the analog phone system. They stop selling of any new analog services at the end of this year for some exchanges with all being done by 2023 i.e. if you switch provider after the new year voice calls will be done via VOIP, if your exchange is one of the first ones. Hence why all the providers have been rapidly switching to VOIP largely via their routers. Its going to be a major headache for the whole country to get used to this change, especially for the less tech savvy.

Last edited:
Soldato
I haven't seen any firm information about how this will be handled at the premises (haven't looked much either).

They must have some sort of plan for people like my mother-in-law who doesn't have (or want) an internet connection.

They'll still be a copper line (where there is now) so power could still be provided to power some sort of lightweight terminating equipment.

Associate
I haven't seen any firm information about how this will be handled at the premises (haven't looked much either).

They must have some sort of plan for people like my mother-in-law who doesn't have (or want) an internet connection.

They'll still be a copper line (where there is now) so power could still be provided to power some sort of lightweight terminating equipment.

There are new tiers of connections that are just a very low capacity broadband connection (0.5Mbps) designed for those who are just needing voice.

Soldato
You don’t need to move the cabinet, just slide something in or out of the rack. Best case scenario, there is enough cable in there and it just slides about. Next best scenario it pulls a plug out and you have to disassemble everything to get your hand in. Worst case scenario, you force it, break the PDU and it earths itself through the equipment in the cabinet.

So what’s stopping you putting a computer on a UPS? And as great as 4G can be, when the power goes off, everyone will be on their 4G. Now that’s contention! WLAN always beats 4G. Even on a handheld.
Yeah but odds are so against it, it's just not worth the cost. I can't remember the last time we had a power cut.

The rack isn't an issue either, I've made sure everything has enough cable to be removed and doesn't snag on anything else wires are routed in such a way as that's a non issue as well.
Plu
They aren't pointless and will have to become standard for a lot of homes by 2025 if you want to make a phone call when the power goes out. You ideally want to move to a situation where your router, phone, and other equipment you need to make a phone call has a UPS attached to give 2hours+ time if you lose power.

Of course if your mobile masts are far away (and thus off a different substation) then the risk of your home and the mast losing power at the same time is minimised and not being able to make a phone call via them is minimal, so a UPS is just a nice to have.
Still pointless I don't have a phone now so why would having a UPS mean I can make phone calls. My mobile doesn't need to be plugged in.

KPC

KPC

Associate
I'm going to weigh in on the power bar/rack positioning subjects.

Rack mount power bars are a "nice to have" if you have space. They take up 1u minimum in theory but when once installed it's closer to 3u. Don't install one in the very bottom or very top of the cab because you'll find:
- With standard UK moulded 13a plugs, you won't be able to plug them in because of the strain relief boot at the bottom
- Many mains adapters are bulky and stick up either above or below the bar
If you want to install one at the back and are using a wall-mount cab, make sure that cab has removable sides otherwise if you come close to filling the front rack, you'll realise all your devices might as well be hardwired to the mains now as the bar will be inaccessible.
If wall-mounted, I'd just mount an ordinary power strip just below the cab (they almost all have 2 holes at the back for this) and use the knock-out at the bottom of almost every wall-mounted cab to run the mains cables through. Wall-mount your NTE next to it. Put a UPS on the floor beneath it if/when you have one.

Of course if you have a cab with a removable back and you're going to rest it on a piece of ply in your loft, this is less of an issue.

People leaving gaps between units are a pet peeve of mine unless it's a gap of a whole u and they haven't used that gap to run cables through! When you come to install some kit and that's the last u available, you'll need to reroute that cable(s) anyway. There are almost always gaps to run link cables through to the sides of the racks, if your cable isn't long enough then get a longer one, they are pennies these days.

When you leave a gap of one hole (not a whole u), you're breaking the spacing of the holes which makes it difficult to install kit. Look carefully at the spacing between the holes. Leaving a gap of one hole makes the spacing for the next ones out-of-spec and you'll end up stripping threads and skinning your knuckles and swearing even if you do eventually manage to jam your shiny new switch in there.
L0q9kwg.png

Another argument I've heard from people who do this (*spits*) is "airflow". But the vents on rack-mount units are at the sides or the back for a reason, they're never at the top or bottom! Maybe there is a valid argument for preventing heat build-up if you have massive routers or core switches snuggled up together but in a home/SOHO environment you don't need to think about that. If you have two switches, put a panel between them if you honestly think heat dissipation is going to be an issue. Or plan for a bigger cab and leave a whole u!

On patching; in a small network cab I never use 1m patch leads and management bars these days, just get 0.25m leads and jump straight from switch to patch panel. It ends up looking neat, takes up less space and is very easy to work with (except if you have to replace some kit you've patched over, careful rack planning can avoid this scenario, otherwise it's only a home network so 10 minutes of downtime shouldn't kill anyone).

Apologies for the long post and sorry if I offended those who leave spaces between kit to run cables through (but you are going to hell one day).

Associate
63767d65e291b1ff6e689674ad44f06c.png

This is my set up at home.. replaced quite a few devices with this router/switch..

Associate
I did a similar exercise last year, though not quite on such a grand scale. The cables were run inside the walls with no redecoration required. Most of our rooms had a TV coax cable, so we simply used that as a draw for the ethernet cables to run them up inside the walls. In two rooms, we had to use the mains twin and earth cable to pull though the ethernet cable.

I used Cat 6a cable and connectors throughout, as the cost difference was marginal and I knew that some of the internal cable runs would be parallel to mains cables for a few meters and I felt the extra shielding was worth it. I will likely have a few 10G devices over the next few years, so wanted to make sure everything was of sufficient spec. You can even get 10G speeds over cat 5e over shorter runs, so Cat 6a was likely overkill.

As mentioned before, don't use the cheap CCA cable, but decent quality solid copper cable. Don't use the stranded cable, as this is designed for patch leads and not internal cable runs.

I used the tool-less keystone jacks for both the wall outlets and patch panel (in loft). These only cost a few pounds each, but take just minutes to wire up reliably and no faffing around with crimping tools, and re-doing connections in hard to access places like the corners of your loft.

Buy quality pre-made patch leads in the correct length to connect the wall sockets to your devices. These only cost at most a few pounds each and are available in a choice of colours. Don't be tempted to try and save a few pounds here as you'll just end up wasting hours crimping your own connections, testing and re-doing them, or paying someone to do them for you at an hourly rate that is more than enough to buy a handful of pre-made leads.

A 305m drum of cable should be more than ample. Consider running extra (unterminated) cables at the same time for possible future expansion or failure (e.g. someone driving a nail into the wall to hang a picture).

A 24 port POE switch will be potentially be noisy due to the fans and generate some heat. Unless you need all 24 ports to be POE, I would maybe consider a 16 port non POE switch, and and 8 port POE one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
This is my mini rack in the garage. I'm gradually adding to it as I'm running all the cables. I don't think I need that many more doing. If you are going the DIY route then a cable access kit is essential, as is a label maker and a sharpie. Label everything as you do it as you will never figure it out later! Cat 6 is more than enough for a home network.

If on a budget, just a decent gigabit switch and some POE injectors are a better value option. I have one for my AP and one for a camera. I might add more at a later date.

Dave

ACtC-3fCl4XSVtW0McOJ8oIa4Ve67Ha3ILW3LeKIGthU8g0JKW0tYws3M9lgncU7tPk_VT8KvRZ1sFZk_FnlDqaflow3ei4d_gvrFPUca4p5i1MIesb-_AkAx8jz_iIWqzkCt3chCxJ-jU5d5uFo2BjP1PvptA=w1250-h937-no

Associate
OP
Small update to this...

The local company I planned to use let me down 3 times so I'm running cable myself, a quick visit into the loft and I've found out the plasterboard is dot-dabbed so easy enough to run cables down to where needed and I've now got cable rods in place. Time to get that drum of cable and start wiring up :)

Regarding running the cables externally, I'm going with the 'route it down a drain pipe option' as suggested as I cant fish through from the 1st floor to the ground floor without breaking into a wall, luckily I already have a hole in the soffits which my CCTV fitter made (and then didn't use) to run the cable out from the loft so only the one hole to drill through into the lounge. This was a far easier sell once I described hacking into the bedroom wall to my wife :D I did get my hopes up when I found a coax cable in the loft which feeds the tv socket in the lounge, I hope I could pull through using that, but no... the builders dot-dabbed it to the wall. :rolleyes:

In hindsight I was being really lazy not doing this myself and had I just got on with it rather than faffing around with local trades it would be done by now.

Back
Top Bottom