1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homemade Chorizo

Discussion in 'La Cuisine' started by nst68, 1 Mar 2021.

1. nst68

Wise Guy

I got a Chorizo making kit for Valentines Day (she knows me well) from https://spicelydoesit.com/products/make-your-own-chorizo-sausage-kit

2.2kg of pork mince and 450g of bacon lardons (mixture of smoked and non-smoked)
    [​IMG]

All mushed together
    [​IMG]

Spice and curing mix added
    [​IMG]

More mushing
    [​IMG]

Red win added and mushed again
    [​IMG]

Wrapped up and in the fridge for 48 hours
    [​IMG]

Sticky hands!
    [​IMG]

That's the easy part out of the way, though they said put the meat in the freezer for 30mins beforehand, which meant my hands were numb by the end.

The kit contains casing for 2 sausages, once I've done that then I'll need to hang them for about a week.

Fingers crossed!

2. PlacidCasual

Soldato

Good luck I did this about 12 years ago. We used a starter culture to kick of the lactic acid as well as the cure. Hung them in the kitchen for 24 hours to get the culture going then in the fridge. We weighed them and labelled them then re-weighed until 30% weight loss (probably 3 weeks).
    They were ok, the lactic acid tang was quite strong and in retrospect we should have used more spicing. I also think I should have added some more liquid, red wine maybe. Most interesting bit was eating for the first time worried about botulism, I'm still here so worked out ok. texture however was spot on.

Good luck and I hope they turn out well.

3. Rotty

Don

I did some, far too much hassle to do again

4. bainbridge

Mobster

5. bainbridge

Mobster

6. Cleisthenes

Sgarrista

Will sub to this as I was given the same kit for Christmas but haven't done it yet!

Please let us know whether you'd do anything different next time!

7. PlacidCasual

Soldato

@bainbridge Hope you weren't too unwell. I found a good recipe on Sausagemaking.org forum that I made really good streaky with this summer.

8. bainbridge

Mobster

I was ok thanks, ust an evening running to the toilet!

The bacon was delicious :)

9. nst68

Wise Guy

Piped them in to the skins, mucked up when I cut the skins and ended up putting holes in most of them.

So I ordered some more skins from Spicely Does It and followed the instructions this time!

This was about 2 days after making them, I initially put them in the conservatory but I think it was too cold in there, so moved them in to the office.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ve just given them their first vinegar wash, I uncurled a couple of the shorter ones as the two sides were touching and not allowing any air to get to them.

10. MissChief

Capodecina

Just the thing for the background of your zoom calls!

11. Cleisthenes

Sgarrista

:D

12. nst68

Wise Guy

The final result :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They're a lot drier than the shop bought ones and a more meaty flavour, just now waiting to see if I've given myself food poisoning!
    I didn't put enough meat mixture in, so they dried a bit flat.

I've kept 3 out to eat in the next few days and then chopped the rest up and put in the freezer.

Definitely would do it again.

13. haaammit

Mobster

They look easy enough to do and tasty af! I've done salami in the past but that had 3 drying temperature and humidity steps to go through as was a bit of a faff if I'm quite honest!

14. Gray2233

Mobster

I'd love to do something like this but I'm a bit paranoid that I'd sod something up and end up ill.

15. Junglist

Soldato

Looks great! Never really thought about making this stuff at home before but now I'm off reading how to make nduja at home

16. Semple

Sgarrista

I lolled.

17. SkeeterUK

Capodecina

Why are black penises hanging up?