Homemade rocket man is about to prove the earth is flat...

Soldato
Obviously these people are morons, but I wonder what their explanation is with regards to flight times? For example, we can fly from here to Australia, obviously heading east, then you could carry on flying from there to America and from there back to the UK making a trip all the way around the world. How do these morons explain that? I've read some of these people's rants and theories but the stupidity just starts to annoy me after a while.

I had this argument with one of them. They say that part way through the flight everyone is put to sleep (including the pilot!). The GPS is controlled by some sort of central database, which ensures that we can't see that the world is flat. The aircraft are all controlled by the government or the illuminati or whatever autopilot, so that no one on the aircraft ever knows what has happened.

Mad? Yes.

Soldato
OP
I wonder if they would let the whole matter drop if they got to select one of their fellows to go and be taken up to the ISS and allowed to film and photo the earth to his hearts content before being taken back down (all live ect) to the satisfaction of all his conspiracy buddies.

That is assuming they don't think their own man was somehow in on it all from the start, even if he was chosen randomly, and it was all staged to feed them false information about the true shape of the planet

what is the benefit of keeping it secret? there is none..so if there no gain to keeping it a secret...why do people bother?

As far as i know it's all due to the bible saying the earth is flat with a dome overhead and space is full of water or some other such nonsense but this is disputed. Either way it's crazy.

Associate
To be fair to the guy he believes the Earth is flat and wants to see with his own eyes if it is or isn't. Whatever his beliefs, home building any sort of a rocket and having the balls to fly in it is something to admire. Fair play to him I say.

Soldato
could he not just take a train ride to the coast and watch the ships sail over the horizon, a horizon that can't exist on a flat earth.....

it is scary how he seems to be smart enough to build what at least looks like a rocket but not smart enough to figure out the relatively simple mathematics needed to prove the earth is round, i mean they figured it out in 330bc for gods sake!

Soldato
could he not just take a train ride to the coast and watch the ships sail over the horizon, a horizon that can't exist on a flat earth.....

it is scary how he seems to be smart enough to build what at least looks like a rocket but not smart enough to figure out the relatively simple mathematics needed to prove the earth is round, i mean they figured it out in 330bc for gods sake!

Surely a "flat" earth would still have curvature of seas? The gravitational pull will still be towards the centre of mass, so on a disc-shaped object that would be more of a linear pull around the edges rather than perpendicular to the ground like in a sphere. That would mean water would be more concentrated around the centrepoint and have some curvature to it's surface creating a horizon.

Soldato
Surely a "flat" earth would still have curvature of seas? The gravitational pull will still be towards the centre of mass, so on a disc-shaped object that would be more of a linear pull around the edges rather than perpendicular to the ground like in a sphere. That would mean water would be more concentrated around the centrepoint and have some curvature to it's surface creating a horizon.

thing is applying gravity like that on a flat-earth model leads to the conclusion that the planet would be round too.

Soldato
yeah theres no such thing as gravity on a flat earth

you dont need it as its flat..and heavy things stay on a flat surface

i was meaning more that gravity will be a uniform force normal to the surface at any point, as opposed to distributed radially around a central point, as the radial distribution of gravity around the centre of mass of an object is the founding principle of why planets are round.

Caporegime

Errrrr I think they don’t believe in gravity (or mass), they believe the reason things falls down is because the flat earth is constantly travelling “upwards” thus causing a down force.

It’s utterly absurd.

Soldato
Errrrr I think they don’t believe in gravity (or mass), they believe the reason things falls down is because the flat earth is constantly travelling “upwards” thus causing a down force.

It’s utterly absurd.

but it'd need to be constantly accellerating upwards.

quick envelope calculation:
gravity~ 9.81m/s
age of earth ~4.54x10^9 years

so, there's 60*60*24*365.25 seconds per year = 31,557,600 seconds per year

which means over the age of the earth there's been 1.4*10^18 seconds

so, starting from 0m/s (from whatever reference point you like) we're currently doing about 1.4*10^19 m/s

or roughly 4.6 billion times the speed of light.

umm yeah, physics don't work like that....

i guess the only way it could work is if the earth was travelling around a circle to give a centrifugal accelleration but that then begs the really obvious question is what the hell is swinging us around on a magical invisible string.

Caporegime
but it'd need to be constantly accellerating upwards.

quick envelope calculation:
gravity~ 9.81m/s
age of earth ~4.54x10^9 years

so, there's 60*60*24*365.25 seconds per year = 31,557,600 seconds per year

which means over the age of the earth there's been 1.4*10^18 seconds

so, starting from 0m/s (from whatever reference point you like) we're currently doing about 1.4*10^19 m/s

or roughly 4.6 billion times the speed of light.

umm yeah, physics don't work like that....

i guess the only way it could work is if the earth was travelling around a circle to give a centrifugal accelleration but that then begs the really obvious question is what the hell is swinging us around on a magical invisible string.

Clearly it's a massive game of marbles as MIB would have us believe, or my theory - Giant conkers tournament

Back
Top Bottom