1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HomePlug Networking

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by Spider, 16 Jan 2006.

1. Spider

Hitman

Thinking of ditching my pathetically unreliable wireless network and replacing it with the main-based HomePlug products that are now on the market. My only problem is, how do I extend an existing Ethernet lan via the mains? I currently have a 5-port ADSL router with a Wireless Access Point extending the LAN wirelessly. If I wanted to extend it via the mains how would this work?

Also has anyone got any experience of this form of networking, is it as reliable as the reviews seem to suggest? Any drawbacks at all?
    I’ve had a gutsfull of the wireless network, desperately want something more reliable now.

2. Valo

Mobster

I have recently bought a set of the Devolo Highspeed 85MB Homeplugs to connect my XBOX and my new Media Centre Box to my existing network and their excellent!

They work straight out of the box without any config using the defult security settings, if you want to change these settings you need to install the software.

If you want to extend the Homeplug network you can buy just a single unit for about £40 iirc. Since all the devices I want to connect together are near one and other I've used a 10/100 switch and uplinked it back to my ADSL Router like this.

ADSL ROUTER===DEVOLO-------DEVOLO===SWITCH===XBOX & MCE Box

=== CAT5 Cable
    ---- Electric Circuit

There is a good review of the Devolo's on ADSLguide.

Hope this helps, any questions just ask! :)

3. errata

Wise Guy

to extend, at is simplest you just detach WAP and reuse the vacant ethernet port for the homeplugs ethernet cable.

Plug and cable up at least 2 homeplug devices and your just about up and running. Adding more devices is only a little more complicated. Software is usualy only needed to alter security or manage a larger network.

If you wiring is sensible you should have a more consistently reliable home network (provided your WAP was the problem and not your router).

Search the forums for homeplug or devolo (a manufacturer), there's few users but no significant complaints.

The burden of getting rid of a poor wireless network is fantastic.

Standard speed (14mbs) is fine if your sharing normal speed broadband internet access, highspeed (85mbs) is nice but only justified if your keen on file sharing between PC's, streaming video or expect to have very fast broadband.

4. errata

Wise Guy

Tumbler could have used another homeplug but a switch is cheaper.

Devolo get high marks for product and support but as expected they cost more, probbaly worth it if yuour fed up with unrealiable equipment!

5. Spider

Hitman

Thanks guys. Will be streaming large amounts of multi-media content to/from a MCE machine. Eventually this will be hi-def materiel.
    Will the speed & reliability be sufficient for this?

6. errata

Wise Guy

a wire is best, high speed homeplug will cope, high speed wireless depends.

Probably by th time your ready for HD products ranges will have improved

7. Methanoid

Mobster

I've a question.. where did you find a single plug for £40.. cheapest I found was £60... The Mrs likes the ones we have see wants another plug for the 2nd Xbox which we use as a media player...

8. Valo

Mobster

Just had a check and I'm wrong(First time for everything!)...they're £60 new sorry about that, however I did a single unit someone's returned for sale at £49.60 :D If I had the cash I'd probably would of got it!

9. errata

Wise Guy

No competitor names allowed but google UK for homeplug or devolo and no problem getting lots of hits. Devolo is particularly expensive, compatible models are nearer £40

High speed homeplug at £50 each delivered is realistic but not for devolo branded kit

10. ste_bla

Sgarrista

Do they have to be on the same circuit?

11. Stephen7372

PermaBanned

Will next door be able to pick up the internet traffic ?

12. l33t_p3t3

Associate

Unlikely, but if it's on the same circuit for some reason, the Devolo kit comes with security features to stop this.

13. errata

Wise Guy

No just connected back to the same meter/fusebox