homeserver issue

Soldato
to i have a hp microserver running whs11

its all been running lovely for the past 4 years.

ive just changed my router and now i cant access any of the shares on the server from my pc.

pc & server are both plugged into the same switch as they have been for 4 years.

i can rdp to the server though.

no changes have been made to either machine.

anyone got any ideas?

Soldato
OP
ive managed to royally mess it up now, disabled my network adapter and dont have a vga cable to plug it in to re-enable. gotta order one and try again tomorrw.

Soldato
OP
VGA cable came.
i plugged PC (windows 10) into a switch
i plugged server (WHS11) into the switch

server shows on the network in explorer on the PC.
i can RDP into the server from the PC

i have tried a whole heap of stuff which i have no clue about which i found on google.

netsh things
turn off file & print sharing and turning back on
uninstalling file and print sharing and reinstalling.
created new shares
set server to automatically get ip address
set server to manual ip adress
put server in DMZ in router
turned off all firewalls on both machines.

nothing seems to work.

was working fine until the other day when the only thing that changed was the router which the switch was plugged in to.

but having the pc and server plugged into the same switch and removing the router should remove this from the equation surely?

i also used to be able to use my phone and solid explorer to access the shares on the server which i cant do now either.

half tempted to build a cheap 2nd server and move everything over to that (as im not really a fan of WHS11 anyways)

Soldato
Oh wait, you're running 2011? D'oh! It's so long since I've worked on it that I've forgotten most things. You really should upgrade to Windows Server Essentials 2016 (NOT 2019).

That first pic shows that the server is using your router as its DNS. So the question is, does your new router offer DNS? What is your new router? What was your old one?

Soldato
OP
Oh wait, you're running 2011? D'oh! It's so long since I've worked on it that I've forgotten most things. You really should upgrade to Windows Server Essentials 2016 (NOT 2019).

That first pic shows that the server is using your router as its DNS. So the question is, does your new router offer DNS? What is your new router? What was your old one?
new router is a BT Hub 6 (i am on plusnet)

old router was a virgin media one not sure on model.

funny you should mention the DNS though. when i try log onto the OCUK forum i get a DNS error and then it refreshes and sorts itself out

Soldato
new router is a BT Hub 6 (i am on plusnet)

TTBOMK the BT Homehub 6 does not act as a DNS server. It would seem that your old router did. So you need to set up a local DNS server. Something you might like to try is plugging the WAN port of your old router into the new router and then plugging everything into that. Make sure you change the IP range the BT Homehub gives out first.

Soldato
OP
TTBOMK the BT Homehub 6 does not act as a DNS server. It would seem that your old router did. So you need to set up a local DNS server. Something you might like to try is plugging the WAN port of your old router into the new router and then plugging everything into that. Make sure you change the IP range the BT Homehub gives out first.

Aren't isp supplied routers just plug and play though?

I shouldn't need to faff around with DNS things? Server and pc are both set to get ip address and DNS automatic.

Back
Top Bottom