Honda Civic owners question about a sat nav/bluetooth, upgrading /modding the stereo

Soldato
Hello there, this might be a long shot but I just purchased a second hand civic 2007 sport i-vtec and would love to take out the cd player and replace it with a screen for sat nav and Bluetooth to play music.
I am a complete noob and don't know where to look for the right kit and screen for this so any help at all would be amazing.

Soldato
Or you could save some money and do what I did, just get a bluetooth FM tansmitter and use your smartphone for sat nav? Seems like a lot of faff for not much in return.

Cool car by the way, I've got an 08 plate Type S I have had for 2 years now, never caused me any problems. I love it.

Soldato
OP
Or you could save some money and do what I did, just get a bluetooth FM tansmitter and use your smartphone for sat nav? Seems like a lot of faff for not much in return.

Cool car by the way, I've got an 08 plate Type S I have had for 2 years now, never caused me any problems. I love it.
A Bluetooth fm transmitter, what does that do? Allow Bluetooth to my old school radio?
I want to be able to just have a dedicated screen for music, sat nav, phone calls etc. Like most cars have these days. I'm a tech fanatic, lol. Look at my pc sig

Link me what you mean if that's okay?

Man of Honour
I used this facia adapter, but I got one a lot cheaper than this specific listing:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Hond...Double-DIN-Fascia-Panel-CT23HD11/181276908358

This connector (you specifically need a Connects2 unit if you want to retain steering wheel controls and, perhaps more importantly, your heating display in the centre - normal adapters will leave you unable to see what your climate is set to)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Ci...or-FREE-PATCH-Connects2-CTSHO002/173118583132

And any generic double DIN head unit will do, this is a random Chinese Xtrons clone Android thing, I think mine is the same model:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7168-Upg...-GPS-WiFi-BT-4-0-Radio-Head-Unit/184011936538

Fitted:

IMG-20191106-232138.jpg

Works fine, does everything you need it to.

Associate
As others have posted, the connects2 kit is pretty decent and worked fine for me for my 3 years of FN2 ownership.

As far as actually doing the fitting goes, you're probably going to want to invest in a set of trim pullers and give yourself a few hours for the job, especially if your a rookie, I did a second fit on my mates civic after they were impressed with mine and I could do it in under an hour the second time.

If I remember you have to take of a LOT of interior trim, parts of the top of the dash have to come away to get to the top mounting screws, and the entire armrest and gear lever surround needs to be at least detached - preferably removed if you want space to work - to get to the bottom mounting screws for the facia. You also need to transplant the fan grills and hazard warning button onto your double din facia.

Man of Honour
Good point! Armrest out, centre console out, lower dash on both sides out, dash top panel out - it's quite a lot of trim to remove and you WILL break clips unless you use a set of trim removal tools.

Probably a little bit of dashboard cutting involved too (on the left hand side, even a shallow double DIN will foul the edge of the dash itself. Not visible when the stereo is fitted)

Soldato
OP
I used this facia adapter, but I got one a lot cheaper than this specific listing:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Hond...Double-DIN-Fascia-Panel-CT23HD11/181276908358

This connector (you specifically need a Connects2 unit if you want to retain steering wheel controls and, perhaps more importantly, your heating display in the centre - normal adapters will leave you unable to see what your climate is set to)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Ci...or-FREE-PATCH-Connects2-CTSHO002/173118583132

And any generic double DIN head unit will do, this is a random Chinese Xtrons clone Android thing, I think mine is the same model:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7168-Upg...-GPS-WiFi-BT-4-0-Radio-Head-Unit/184011936538

Fitted:

IMG-20191106-232138.jpg

Works fine, does everything you need it to.
As others have posted, the connects2 kit is pretty decent and worked fine for me for my 3 years of FN2 ownership.

As far as actually doing the fitting goes, you're probably going to want to invest in a set of trim pullers and give yourself a few hours for the job, especially if your a rookie, I did a second fit on my mates civic after they were impressed with mine and I could do it in under an hour the second time.

If I remember you have to take of a LOT of interior trim, parts of the top of the dash have to come away to get to the top mounting screws, and the entire armrest and gear lever surround needs to be at least detached - preferably removed if you want space to work - to get to the bottom mounting screws for the facia. You also need to transplant the fan grills and hazard warning button onto your double din facia.
Good point! Armrest out, centre console out, lower dash on both sides out, dash top panel out - it's quite a lot of trim to remove and you WILL break clips unless you use a set of trim removal tools.

Probably a little bit of dashboard cutting involved too (on the left hand side, even a shallow double DIN will foul the edge of the dash itself. Not visible when the stereo is fitted)
You guys are flipping awesome, this is exactly what I needed to know.
Do I just use generic trim removal tools? There's so many can you direct me to a good set for the job?

I have a budget of £100 for the head unit, was hoping to pick up something with all the requirements, maybe with a mic and something that had a decent sounding amp. Any suggestions for that, as I don't want to go for a 50 quid Chinese one and be disappointed after going to all that effort.
Unless that one you linked is as good as it says it is....
Don't think I can take calls with it though

Man of Honour
Not all those double din head units are exactly the same size by the way. I had one in my Fiesta that was a bit small for the hole (I used glazing packing strips to fill the gap) and in the Civic it was a bit big so I filed down the bezel a bit and used the rubber trim to create an interference fit effectively wedging it in place.

Your mileage may vary!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Not all those double din head units are exactly the same size by the way. I had one in my Fiesta that was a bit small for the hole (I used glazing packing strips to fill the gap) and in the Civic it was a bit big so I filed down the bezel a bit and used the rubber trim to create an interference fit effectively wedging it in place.

Your mileage may vary!
What's the right size for the CTKHD01 kit? It doesn't say anywhere at all just that it's double din

Associate
I used this video to help me. You're after a completely different stereo (so it's different to his end goal) but this basically walks you through getting everything off to get at the stock stereo.

Associate
@GeX how much XP do you have with car stereos?
Can you recommend me one?

Sorry for being off topic.
I'm looking for one and can't make up my mind with it.

I've been checking out review sites and tbh they are all hype.
It's hard to find anything good. I've checked out cruchfield's
site as well. That's just way to techy for me.

I've managed to find a decent enough site. It's a bit critical.
And blasts the brands for their faults. So I'm on the fence.
If you were me which one would you choose from this
best double din android head unit post?

If it helps I'm comfortable spending around $400.

Any help is appreciated

Soldato
A sepersate tablet fitment, like the likes of the ev's appeals more to me in terms of visibility/proximity=>safety .... not sure whether it would become a theft hazard though.

Back
Top Bottom