Honda S2000

Soldato
I've yet to try out sin_chase's s2k but it's sure fun as a passenger and the high rev ranges are so fun to play with :D

I drive around a big mustang and sometimes I do wish I had something a little smaller and more nippy for Jersey roads, but I love muscle roar.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;16363207 said:
Torque at the fly is meaningless.

Correct it's torque at the wheels (well tires) that matters, as this is whats moving the car.

The low gearing, and ability to rev high help torque at wheels.

Last edited:
Associate
Took an S2000 for a spin a while back and absolutely loved it.

Best gear change I have ever felt.

Only slight niggle was that power delivery took so long that I run out of road before the car really got going (this was in London though).

Fantastic experience though and I wouldn't hesitate in buying one.

Soldato
Test drove a S2000 today and first thing I noticed is how high you sit, compared to my Z4 coupe. Also gear box didn't seem to be as nice as my previous car (EP3). It seemed slightly notchy and felt a bit of vibrate through the stick...normal?

V-Tec delivery didn't seem to be as usable nor agressive as the EP3, it needs to be on the boil all the time for any real go. I had to change down to 1st from 2nd to negotiate a slight incline at low speed (10mph).

Also whats with the cheap steering wheel, the top part of the wheel seem very skinny. My BMW M-Tec wheel is in a different league, chunky and soft touch leather.

Getting back to my Z4 showed me how different these two cars are. The S2000 did seem more planted and inspired more confidence. Were as my Z4 is just a effortless cruiser with lows of gunt, but lacks very driver involvement.

Soldato
Interesting reading this thread ... !

I've had my S2000 since November 2007 and covered about 24,000 miles in it... There havn't been many boring ones, and I still enjoy driving the car just as much as I did the day I picked it up.

There have been quite a few useful posts in this thread, but also, some quite silly ones ... allow me to expand.

When Honda developed the S2000 it did indeed have interesting handling. Quite honestly, over time they have softened it off, allowing the average driver to be able to drive it a bit more safely. Introduction of VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) meant they could make things like it used to be for the last ones they release.

Looks wise, it's stayed quite similar, but the tweaks have really refreshed the car. It's amazing how different the model years look. My car is an MY00, but putting it next to an MY04/MY06 and an MY08 and the cars do look very different. For looks, I personally think the MY04's with the optional front lip, side strakes and rear spoiler looks the best.

There were various interior changes (yes, including adding a clock) which freshened up the interior. I'd be a liar if I said the newer ones didnt 'look' better.

Driving wise, this is not the car for you if you want to go fast in a straight line. I use mine on the track and have done a few bits and pieces to it. Through corners its bloody incredible. I'll post videos at some point later today, but basically through corners at woodbridge yesterday nothing seemed quicker than me (Including caterhams) and only the stupidly quick stuff was pulling away on the straights.

However, it is a frustrating car to drive. if you want to be 'on it' you need to give 12/10ths and REALLY be wanting to be on it. If you back off (like on a track to let someone past) you have to start winding everything back up again. This can be slightly annoying if your having a play with someone.

It's an incredibly involving and rewarding car to drive, but not a cheap one to run. I have literally spent thousands since i bought the car, but I have done a lot of work to the car. Key things to look at -

Suspension bushes - These will sieze. You need to ensure the car you buy has had an alignment done by one of the forum recognised garages (Wheels In Motion/Centre Gravity/TGM) ... if siezed, you are looking at a world of pain and expense to get it sorted (even as extreme as cutting out wishbones). You can't buy bushes on their own from Honda so a lot of people go polybushed.

Alignment - Yes, GEO! I get absolutely destroyed for mentioning this, but this car is hillariously sensitive to alignment. Get it right and you have a car that handles like a dream, even beyond the limit. Get it wrong and you WILL crash it.

Driving Manner - You can't drive this like a hot hatch. I recon at least every single week since release one of these cars is written off. Wet roads are a real hazard, and you can't pitch up to a roundabout on cold tyres and be surprised why you have a lampost in the passenger seat.

Servicing - It's pretty much bulletproof reliability, but ensure its followed the honda servicing schedule.

If you want a ride in one I'm just in SW London (Battersea) and I'd be happy to take you out for a spin. best of luck in finding one :)

Soldato
It's an incredibly involving and rewarding car to drive, but not a cheap one to run. I have literally spent thousands since i bought the car, but I have done a lot of work to the car.

Why is it expensive to run? Apart from insurance, tyres & petrol I can't think of anything else that would cause added expense.

Soldato
DSC_0177.jpg

:cool:

dam what are those rims? they look fantastic on a black S2K! I can feel my wallet twitching!!

Back
Top Bottom