Honeymoon where? Mauritius, Maldives or Seychelles

Soldato
Oooh tricky. I'm half Mauritian so biased but even so I reckon for honeymooning the Maldives may be better. If you want that 'secluded desert island' feel it's the place to go.

Mauritius has some top notch hotels (Legends and The Oberoi spring to mind) but they are ludicrously expensive. I've visited both if you want any first hand advice (not bragging, couldn't afford to stay there). If you do end up going there make sure you find a hotel that has mainly English speaking guests. Many hotels cater to a specific EU client (French, German, Italian) and you might find everything is in a foreign language, even though most Mauritians speak English anyway.

Soldato
It's a long way, but what about Tahiti? I'm thinking of going to Bora Bora when the day comes.

Would need to go for a while though to make up for the long travelling times. And I would definitely look at stopping off somewhere in each way for a day or 2 just to break up the journey because it's a bit of a monster!

If you're set on one of those 3 then I'd choose the Maldives. I've not been to the other 2 places so can't compare but the Maldives was awesome, and I think we stayed on the cheapest possible island as I was at uni at the time. Can't imagine how nice the expensive places would be!

I think the reason I'd sway to going back to the Maldives again would be the size of the islands as I think the other two have much larger islands. We could walk round ours in 10 and it was awesome. It felt so secluded.

Soldato
Depends on budget, but take a look at One&Only Maldives. We stayed at the one in Mexico and is rated 29th best hotel in the world I believe - worth every single penny!! The Maldives one is climbing up the list as it is newly established :)
I think it's more where you stay rather than where you go when it comes to your honeymoon.
Edit: Here is the website, http://www.oneandonlyresorts.com/flash.html

Man of Honour
We stayed at the One & Only Le Touessrok in Mauritius for a fortnight and it was amazing. We now compare everything to that and have not yet been able to beat it. Interestingly it is no longer a One & Only, but it is still lush.

However, knowing what we do now, although I do not regret the decision at all, I think we would have chosen the Conrad in the Maldives.

Edit: Have just seen your budget - back in 2003, we got 7 nights for £7k, with 7 nights free. So you may need to reflect that in your costs.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That Conrad complex is just something else! Bet it costs a fortune though. It seems all the resorts I was looking at are 5 star but the 5 star deluxe ones just go even better.

Caporegime
We honeymooned in mauritius in may and I wasn't impressed tbh. I would honestly have rathered spent the money on the best hotel cyprus had to offer and save the time spent on the plane.

It was ok, but the weather in may was very wet. I wouldn't even consider it again that time of year.

Its a very friendly place and the locals are great it doesn't stick in my memory as a great holiday though.

Soldato
OP
Interesting that. We got chatting to a travel guy at one of the recent wedding show things and he tried to sell Mauritius as being the best out of the 3 in may. It does sound from other resources that the weather can be dodgy enough. Perhaps Maldives would be better option all round.

Caporegime
My mrs and I were walking down a round getting soaked through to the skin in the rain. Coming down so hard it stung. A local came past on a bike, stopped, looked at us and said "you know where you should go for honeymoon?" I replied no where? He replied "England" then pedalled off laughing.

Cheeky **** :D

Soldato
OP
Lol. O dear. Definitely is putting me off going there in May anyway. I don't think going a month earlier would make massive difference then.

Think the Maldives looks good. The Sheraton Full Moon resort there looks amazing and I can use my SPG points against the cost.

Soldato
Yea weather will probably be the key factor on this one. You can stay in a hotel that cost 10k a day but if the weather's rubbish it's going to ruin it, so unless you have a big bias to one place, I'd try and research the weather for the time you're looking at, then base it on that.

Soldato
OP
Another thing putting me off some places in Mauritius was the fact that they said family friendly. I don't want screaming kids within a mile of us!

Permabanned
We went to Athuruga in the Maldives and had a wonderful time, although this was a few years back. It was run by Francorosso, but I'm not sure if it still is, but it is a wonderful island on a fantastic reef. We swam alongside turtles and saw flying fish, rays and sharks.

Have you thought about a luxury cruise? There are some good offers out there and on your budget you would get a good deal as this is out of high season.

Associate
I'll put another vote in for the Maldives. Absolutely magnificent place to go, we went end of April beginning May 2008 for 2 weeks. Weather was good, had 2 rainy afternoons but rest of the time weather was nice and warm.
We went to Kuramathi Cottage club and stayed in the waterbungalows. Pretty amazing being able to just go straight into the see from your own bungalow. Stayed 2 weeks on half board, but after all extras added up it was less than £4k
And if you love planes then the Seaplane transfers a lot of islands have are great, loved seeing the pilots in shorts and short sleeve shirts and no shoes

Soldato
OP
The more I hear the more the Maldives sounds like its a better option. Initially I thought that maybe you don't have as much to do but if you still have lovely scenery, nice cuisine and maybe watersports + dolphins etc then I think we both would be more than happy.

Always fancied a sea plane trip since I saw them in Vancouver years ago.

Soldato
Oooh tricky. I'm half Mauritian so biased but even so I reckon for honeymooning the Maldives may be better. If you want that 'secluded desert island' feel it's the place to go.

Mauritius has some top notch hotels (Legends and The Oberoi spring to mind) but they are ludicrously expensive. I've visited both if you want any first hand advice (not bragging, couldn't afford to stay there). If you do end up going there make sure you find a hotel that has mainly English speaking guests. Many hotels cater to a specific EU client (French, German, Italian) and you might find everything is in a foreign language, even though most Mauritians speak English anyway.

I went to Legends for my honeymoon, it was a fantastic place and newly married couples get 50% off the brides accommodation costs. We got upgraded at the end of our stay to one of the two private villas which topped it off.

Soldato
I have only been to the Maldives of the three but that was the most amazing holiday I have ever had.

We got a HUUUGEE private villa on stilts over the lagoon on a really small island (around 50 rooms I think) but there was still 2 resteraunts, 3 bars and plenty to do on day trips. Food was also really great, fantastic for me because I love sea food but even the lass who is a vegitarian had plenty of options.

Beautiful place and also the most relaxing place I have ever been to in my life, 3am over in the Maldives is unbelievable, not a sound and not a sight to be seen except the starts in the sky.

Want to visit the other 2 places though so im sure all three would be amazing! Can post a few pics if you want, just ask.

Back
Top Bottom