House Buying Help

Associate
Need some help and advice.

Got a mortgage sorted the other day and have been viewing houses recently. Saw a house today which already had an offer on which was close to asking and one which the owners were seriously considering. However, we loved the house and decided to make an offer at asking price seeing as we really want it and how we didnt know what the other people had offered. We told the owner, who showed us around, that we'd be making an offer and she seemed happy about it and started talking how she could help us as well (being first time buyers) because she's moving to Australia so cant take a lot of electic stuff with her and would love to sell to us if we can come to an arrangement.

However, after leaving I rang the estate agents and made the offer but unfortunately they were closing in 5mins so the agent told me they'd try and close the deal that night before they go home, otherwise I'd hear off them Monday morning with the answer and the agent said they'd be suprised if the asking price offer wasnt accepted.

I'm just wondering, what chances do you think we've got off sealing the deal? If we've offered asking is it pretty much a done deal that the house will be ours as long as the offers accepted????

POB

POB

Soldato
If its over 175k, you could arrange for the electrical items to be more expensive and get a discount on the house if it is close to the stamp duty threshold.

Associate
I know this wont help much, but we were in exactly the same position 7 days ago.

Saw the house on rightmove friday 3pm. ( linky ) Phoned the agent at 4pm, and he told us that he was doing viewings all day saturday.

Saw the house on saturday and were WOOOOWWWWWWED !

Ummed and errred all weekend, phone the agent sunday evening and offered the full asking price.

Monday he tells us that he has had 4 offers at the asking price !

I bumped the offer 15k . However it seems that the first couple who were actually interested, went back and had a chat with the owners on the saturday evening, and they made a sort of verbal agreement.

They wouldnt accept our offer even though it was higher, as they had given their word - the estate agent described them as the most ethical people he had ever met !

Never mind - back to rightmove . . . . . . again :rolleyes:

Moral of the story - if you like it , get in ASAP, and be prepared to offer a little more, or go and knock on the door, introduce yourself, and make yourself known to the owners - can only help to put you in No.1 position

Associate
OP
I'd feel really cheeky going back to the owners and introducing ourselves and discussing more about electrics.

I'm just praying that our offer is accepted. the asking was £140k so its under the stamp duty region.

Soldato
goes to show that its not always just about the price

a seller also wants to know they wont be messed about and will choose someone who is in a better position (ie mortgage already approved, cash buyer, someone who can move quickly) over someone who isnt, even if they offer slightly more

Back
Top Bottom