House clearance companies - experiences?

Soldato
Hi,

A relative has passed away leaving a house with lots of contents which we now have to deal with. So all the usual furniture types; bedroom furniture, dining sets, sofas, kitchen utensils etc etc. Most of it is in good condition and also of good quality.

We have no need for 95% of it as we already have our own homes with contents. We are also a long distance from the house so need to deal with it in as few visits as possible. Whilst I am happy to give a lot to charity, some of the items are of high quality and condition and I would hope to think we could get some money for. However I don't have the time to sit eBaying lots of items.

I am sure others must have had to deal with such an occasion in life and would like to hear from peoples experiences. Are house clearance companies the way to go? Do they give you anything for the contents? Or are we better off contacting local charities and donating the furniture to these?

Thanks

Mark

Soldato
Had to do it twice, once helping my mum clear grandad's house and then mum's house later on.

With clearance you won't get anything like the value of the furniture out of them, re-sale values are rubbish and they have overheads of premises, staff etc. For us it wasn't worth the hassle and we gave stuff away to friends and family who could use it. They're great if you need to clear a house in a hurry though. Ask around locally and if you don't know anyone, people like estate agents could have recommendations.

Local charities will take stuff, but be aware that with soft furnishings they will usually not touch them unless the fire safely labels are there. You will end up dumping some of it at the tip - often things like mattresses.

Back
Top Bottom