House insurance question

Soldato
Bear with me as I've checked online but couldn't find an answer anyway. If I leave my windows on the catch but locked, does it make a difference? The windows have the bits at the top and side that pop out (sorry not sure the technical names) so I'm not sure what difference it makes them being in the latch.

Don
Perhaps not the answer you are looking for but I always have my insurance without all these sort of rules, tested alarms, certain types of locks, what must be locked etc

It's not that I don't have good security it just avoids misunderstandings and mistakes that can be used to avoid paying out

Soldato
To be fair @Rotty is spot on - if by declaring that you have certain security in place you qualify for a discount then the policy wording can be very specific about when you are and aren't covered!

It's more common in the case of having an alarm rather than locks though as most insurers will ask you to have a minimum physical security in place at policy wording level!

The only answer is to check with the insurer and make sure you take the person's full name - trying to argue that "John" said it was OK when they have 19 John's is a tricky sell!

Soldato
Bear with me as I've checked online but couldn't find an answer anyway. If I leave my windows on the catch but locked, does it make a difference? The windows have the bits at the top and side that pop out (sorry not sure the technical names) so I'm not sure what difference it makes them being in the latch.

If I’m understanding you correctly, when your windows are on the latch, the locking parts that secure the window into the frame are not engaged, so the window isn’t fully secured.

I suspect that an insurance company could argue that leaving the windows on the latch when you go out is “not securing your property” and they’d use this to avoid paying out.

Soldato
OP
If I’m understanding you correctly, when your windows are on the latch, the locking parts that secure the window into the frame are not engaged, so the window isn’t fully secured.

I suspect that an insurance company could argue that leaving the windows on the latch when you go out is “not securing your property” and they’d use this to avoid paying out.
No they are still engaged into the frame, there is more than 1 setting. Similar to this pic https://www.nico.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/P30-Locking-Hardware-general-jpeg-456x300.jpg

Soldato
No they are still engaged into the frame, there is more than 1 setting. Similar to this pic https://www.nico.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/P30-Locking-Hardware-general-jpeg-456x300.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion - I've had a look and am very impressed!

The only thing I think the 10-piece system is lacking is any kind of external deterrent - ideally an actual siren but at the very least a dummy box!

There is a Yale system that seems to be similar but has an external sounding alarm - any good?

Back
Top Bottom