House next to substation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Just wondered if anyone has any opinions on buying a property next to an electrical substation (one of the small local ones).

I viewed a property recently and never really gave it a second thought, but a couple of people i've spoken to have said they would never buy a house next to one because they might find it harder to sell it if they decided to move.

Man of Honour
In terms of selling again later yes it can have an impact some people can be fussy about that.

We used to have one near my school and sometimes there was some kind of humming can't really describe it like a low frequency ambience - wouldn't want to live near that if susceptible to it.

Associate
OP
I went back after speaking to a couple of people who mentioned he buzzing to have a listen and I could hear a slight humming noise.

I didn't hear it when viewing the property, but I wasn't really listening out for it and was busy talking with agent/family. Now i know it's there i reckon i'd hear it constantly!

Man of Honour
View it again take a moment by yourself in the garden to listen ask your partner if your buying it together or take a friend, any doubts dont buy it.

Also take note how far it is from the property, is it at the front or back, etc.

Let us know how you get on.

Associate
Just wondered if anyone has any opinions on buying a property next to an electrical substation (one of the small local ones).

I viewed a property recently and never really gave it a second thought, but a couple of people i've spoken to have said they would never buy a house next to one because they might find it harder to sell it if they decided to move.

We looked into this a few years ago when we was going to buy a house, in all honesty its probably going to be safe and will not harm us, with health and safety going wild it will defiantly put off a lot of people when you go to sell :) We never brought the house.

Soldato
A friend of our lives right next to a huge pylon. The humming is really bad some days, I feel on edge there. She says she's used to the humming but I think the waves has fried her brain :p

Soldato
Incidences of cancer have been shown to be higher where people live under large power lines.

I would steer clear personally.

Soldato
Not sure how we've made the leap from a question about living near to a small electrical sub-station to cancer from living under power lines?!?

Either way I lived next (10 metres) to one for 25 years at a previous address and never gave it a second thought. Didn't negatively affect property values either.

Come to think about it there's one about 50 metres from my current property. I'd be more concerned with living near a busy road or a multitude of other things before I worried about a small sub-station.

Associate
OP
Decided against it in the end.

Asked friends/people at work and they all said the same thing, which was they would be concerned they would have difficulty selling when they wanted to move.

Soldato
Did not even think about it when buying our house, there is one nearby in an allotment to the back of us. There was one at the end of my mums street that always set on fire too.

You are always going to be fairly close to one though right?

Soldato
Round here there are old terraced streets that some houses actually have a brick building substation at the bottom of their back yards. Meaning they have smaller back yards than the rest of the street.

Can't get closer than that!

Caporegime
I certainly would never buy one near a substation, but my hearing is very sensitive to that kind of thing and even electrical plugs in the bedroom keep me awake so have to be unplugged at night.

Associate
As an electrician I'd rather be close to one that far away, far better Ze readings :)

Also it's completely different to living under power lines, local transformer is considerably lower voltages

Associate
OP
How much less do you reckon a property beside one would need to be discounted though?

The property I was looking at was marketed at the same price as a property a couple of doors away which sold a month or so ago.

I also reckoned it needed a bit of around £10k or so spend on it (decorating, new boiler, fixing up the kitchen etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom