How about a Linux gallery?

Kei

Kei

Soldato
Nothing particularly special, just standard ubuntu x64 in vmware.
gallery_44179_303_191952.jpg

Associate
As i've changed distro i've now got a new desktop!
So Linux mint KDE
snapshot1.png

Mint KDE is very impressive dont you think? i havent found a bug yet, its fast stable and looks better than windows. Easy to customize also.

btw lol @ light rain in Otley, that must be a first usually its ****ing it down

Soldato
Mint KDE is very impressive dont you think? i havent found a bug yet, its fast stable and looks better than windows. Easy to customize also.

It's definitely the best Linux Distro i've used so far.
I had been trying Gnome distro's but I much prefer KDE now after trying it. Linux Mint 14 is out in November as well.

Associate
the irony of this of course is that for a HTPC windows 8 is seeming more appealing where as Linux is more appealing for desktop use where by it was going into many SFF media HTPC builds :D

Associate
Probably is what I am after, wanting to get my head around it (complete linux noob) while running virtual before putting it onto an old laptop for a casual use machine :)

Might as well jump in with both feet if your sticking it on an old laptop, have you decided on which distro you would like? If its just an old machine that your looking to get some use out of then just put a distro on it, if you make mistakes (we all do loads of them at first) then just re install it or try another distro and have a little fun with it.

If its just to learn then I'd opt for Mint as I find it has the best user help base, Ubuntu's user base is bigger and has just as many people helping but I find the Mint users to be the most helpful in the IRC chats ect, just my opinion though.

Soldato
I'll be (hopefully) saving an old XP laptop from the scrap at work if I get the chance, just a bit of forward planning :)
Quite liking Xubuntu so far, also using Mint at work this last week for a little project.

Last edited:
Associate
After a 2 year hiatus from linux since I sold my asus netbook, I have installed mint 14 on my spare laptop (hp g62). Enjoyed playing around with conky but the battery life has been **** poor (around 1 hour 40 minutes from full charge!). Going to give ubuntu and crunchbang a go now...

Back
Top Bottom