How are people using their SSDs software wise?

Soldato
So I'm a fairly late arrival to the SSD party; thinking of getting one but without the cash right now. :(

I'm currently using about 95GB of my current C: drive for Windows and Program Files. I have Steam installed and that is taking up 51GB of the 95GB. Are people with SSDs just installing Windows on their SSDs and putting everything else, including Program Files, onto another disk or are people just using up less space than I am so they're able to use a smaller SSD? I can't really see how I can get away from having Steam, Program Files etc on my C: so I'm looking at the 160GB version of the Intel X25-M unless there's some trick I'm missing that would allow me to have just Windows 7 on my SSD and everything else on another disk?

Associate
Well putting Games on SSDs will only give a performance boost during initial loading and changing levels etc. as once the game is loaded in memory, very little will need to be read from the drive itself. In other words, don't expect a big change in FPS. So you could get away with just installing Steam on another drive, especially if you have a lot of games.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If I moved Steam to another drive now that would be 48GB I would need. Call it 50GB. Wouldn't I be pushing my luck with a 60GB SSD as I might need more space for some other programs that need to be on C: and don't SSD drives need a fair amount of free space to work efficiently?

It would be more expensive to get a 160GB SSD compared to an 80GB one, obviously, but I can't help but feel it would be an easier option for me. Just wondering if there were tricks people were using. :)

I do play Football Manager 2010 a fair bit so having that on an SSD drive would be quite nice. However I have FM10 linked to Steam so it'd have to be on the same drive Steam is on. If I don't get a 160GB SSD I can't have Steam, and thus FM10, on the SSD.

Soldato
I'm using my SSD's as OS/Software drives. Data goes onto my HDD's. I'm using about 40GB of my 80GB Intel SSD. From your last post 64GB would probably be pushing your luck.

Soldato
OP
I kind of do that now; Windows and programs such as Office, Steam etc go on my C: drive and then all my files and MP3s go on another physical drive.

I meant to say 80GB SSD not 60GB on my previous post btw. :) I think I'm better off with a 160GB SSD than I am an 80GB SSD.

Associate
installing games on my SSD is an absolute must for me... can't stand long loading times and some games seriously take waaaaaaaaaay too long to load up on average SSD drives or your average traditional spin drive.

Soldato
When I used my 2 SSDs as single volumes, on one SSD I had Win 7 + programs and on the other SSD I had a few large programs installed + important stuff that I would use regularly each day...didn't run any games from them as I have Steam installed on another comp on a separate HDD...

Soldato
You don't need Steam on your SSD, so to go for a very expensive 160GB SSD to accomodate sounds like madness to me!

I have the Intel 80GB SSD and I have all my most-used software on it, my documents plus a couple of Steam games. Once I have my 1TB drive back [RMA :(], Steam is going on that. You have to be an utterly impatient person to be annoyed by a loading screen. Most games rarely take a long time anyway [and I haven't noticed any difference while playing].

With Steam gone I should have around 30GB free! I can usually get away with installing a game on my SSD as I tend to get rid of a game the minute im bored of it and rarely play more than one game at once.

Back
Top Bottom