• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How are people with 3000 series cards faring with PSU usage?

Associate
I've seen reports of spiking power draw and my psu manufacturer advised me to go 850W for a 3080. How are people finding the cards, especially if you're on a 650W or 750W PSU?

Soldato
I think a 750w is perfectly fine for a 3080 as long as its a decent unit. Even a 650w is probably good as long as the rest of your system is fairly minimal.

I'm running a 3070 on a 650w, but it's a system with a stack of hard drives and even an optical drive. So a 3080 was out of the question without upgrading my psu too.

Associate
Will let you know. I've got a Palit 3090 Gamerock OC arriving today to pair with my Superflower 750W PSU. It does support 62A on the 12V rail and 2 separate PCI-E cables. My 1080 + i9 pull 360W from the wall during AC: Valhalla. So going to check out the same area with the 3090 and see what the difference is.

Soldato
Running 700w SFX-L prior (Silverstone SFX) but now 750w (Corsair SF) SFX unit with 8700k and 3090 as its going into a HTPC. No issues. even with both parts OC'd, not missed a beat.

Usually calculators and recommended specs are increased to account for mediocre units and given the manufacturer headroom.

Associate
OP
Will let you know. I've got a Palit 3090 Gamerock OC arriving today to pair with my Superflower 750W PSU. It does support 62A on the 12V rail and 2 separate PCI-E cables. My 1080 + i9 pull 360W from the wall during AC: Valhalla. So going to check out the same area with the 3090 and see what the difference is.

Yeah that will be v interesting. Mine is multi rail and can take 30A on the GPU rail, but transient spiking up to 450-550 could trip that. I was wondering what the recommended single rail current is

Associate
OP
Running 700w SFX-L prior (Silverstone SFX) but now 750w (Corsair SF) SFX unit with 8700k and 3090 as its going into a HTPC. No issues. even with both parts OC'd, not missed a beat.

Usually calculators and recommended specs are increased to account for mediocre units and given the manufacturer headroom.

This is promising. Funny enough calculators and my wattage calculations suggest I can use 650 still but my current calculations and the manufacturer have come to 850W so the 40A GPU rail isn't at risk of OCP tripping

It's a top rated PSU as well

Associate
Must be a lot of people "fearing" problems because you can't buy a good 850W psu anywhere.

Yeah I noticed that too, although hasn't supply been a bit patchy even before the new GPUs were on the radar? Even 1000W+ ones are like rocking horse poo but for the really eye wateringly pricey ones.

Associate
So, that's slightly worrying. After a bit of wrestling getting the card in. I've fired up AC: Valhalla again. GPU utilisation 97%, CPU 20%, I forgot to change the bios to quiet so clock speed is 1995. My PC is drawing 665w from the wall. Going to try quiet mode later and see what that drops it to.

Soldato
So, that's slightly worrying. After a bit of wrestling getting the card in. I've fired up AC: Valhalla again. GPU utilisation 97%, CPU 20%, I forgot to change the bios to quiet so clock speed is 1995. My PC is drawing 665w from the wall. Going to try quiet mode later and see what that drops it to.

Sounds about right. Note your pulling that from the wall, so PSU is probs delivering about 580 watts or so assuming 90ish % efficiency so would so would not worry imo.

Usually quiet mode on these cards won't do much, usually knock down fan speed which may reduce frequency step by 1 or 2. Better off undervolting if your worried imo.

Associate
My system has a RTX3080, GTX 1660S and Ryzen 3800X. PSU is fully modular 750W corsair. No issues. It draws 460W peak at the wall when gaming or benchmarking

Associate
Sounds about right. Note your pulling that from the wall, so PSU is probs delivering about 580 watts or so assuming 90ish % efficiency so would so would not worry imo.

Usually quiet mode on these cards won't do much, usually knock down fan speed which may reduce frequency step by 1 or 2. Better off undervolting if your worried imo.

Palit OC has a bios switch that limits the power (and hence the boost speed of the cards). They reckon performance mode limits the power to hit around 1995mhz boost. Quiet mode limits to hit around 1950mhz boost. Quiet mode is drawing 640W (vs 665W performance). But as you say, ~13% will be lost in heat (it's a gold PSU), etc from the socket. So more likely quiet mode is drawing 557W.

For comparison, with the 1080 in, I was drawing 360W from the wall. So almost an extra 300W for the 3090 (depending on mode).

Man of Honour
With an overclocked 7 year old 6 core / 12 thread Xeon and a 3070 FE along with 1x NVME, 4x SSDs, 1x HDD, soundcard and multiple NICs and half a dozen fans I'm seeing ~390 watt whole system power use in GPU heavy games like The Division. I am however seeing significantly higher transient spikes than with my GTX1070.

Associate
OP
Any properly engineered PSU designed at 500W+ will likely be fine with transient spikes. LOL wattage kW PSUs aren't required in the last majority of cases just to cover off the chance.

Normally yes but when it's spiking up to 600W on just the GPU that's a lot more than say a 1080ti. My psu would have been fine but the GPU rail only handles 30A which is why I'm worried. Any old GPU that was plenty. This is one of the highest rated multi rail GPUs

Back
Top Bottom