How can I connect 2 pcs to the internet?

n3x

n3x

Associate
Hey KizZ!

I always hear great things about netgear! If i had money to burn it would without a doubt be my first choice!

Im oldskool and using a hub to share my net connection atm ;)

Im not really clued up on wireless but...

Netgear DG834PN 108Mbps Rangemax Wireless ADSL2 Modem/Router/Switch/Firewall (NW-083-NG) - £72.26

Looks good to me! and its on special this week ;)

Soldato
Neither the DG834PN or WAG354G are any good - they're ADSL routers with an ADSL modem inside - absolutely useless with NTL cable.

A Linksys WRT54GS is what you want :)

Associate
Skilldibop said:
Liksys speedbooster and USR turbo get you 125Mbps over wireless, which minus the wifi overheads is about equivalent to wired. :p
I still side with wired but the "wired is faster" argument is somewhat defunkt now.

15m, probably 1 or 2 walls in between and with speedbooster technology so so cheap and so so reliable!

What model of cable modem has the guy got from NTL. If it has any routing function (if its USB and ethernet rather than or, then it probably has) add on a Access point and or switch and hes done.

Caporegime
errata said:
If it has any routing function (if its USB and ethernet rather than or, then it probably has) add on a Access point and or switch and hes done.

Nope.
Unless you're paying NTL for more IPs, you'll still only be able to connect one machine with just an AP or switch.

Associate
Thats an or then not an and.

What cable modem/boxes are NTL supplying at the moment, my last NTL kit was the TV/broadband set top box?

Soldato
No NTL cable modems currently in circulation have a router inbuilt. They issue a single public IP by DHCP (unless you have the console pack, but that only gives you one extra).

Associate
Devices I have used in the past that allowed dual simultaneous conenctons via USB AND ethernet have had enough routing functions onboard (presumably inc NAT) to connect 2+ PC's to a single IP. What I dont know is the capabilites of the current NTL usb/ethernet cable modem device.

Associate
OllyM said:
No NTL cable modems currently in circulation have a router inbuilt. They issue a single public IP by DHCP (unless you have the console pack, but that only gives you one extra).

off topic but how is the extra IP passed both ways through the NTL cable modem?

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, but I am still not sure whether to go wireless! The Netgear RP614 Router seems pretty good + a 20 meter cable will do fine i think?

Back
Top Bottom