How can I get ready for Cyberpunk & other modern games?

Associate
Current build:
Processor - Intel i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Mobo - ASUS X99-A
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX: 16285 Mb @ 3000MHz
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 VRAM: 4095 MB

1 monitor @ 60Hz in 1920*1080
Windows 10 (64 bit)

No VR

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Been working through my back-catalogue on steam for about 2 years; haven't bought any new games or paid any attention to the new tech that's come on to the market.
Floating the idea of upgrading the computer.
At a minimum I'm looking for medium graphics settings @60fps for Cyberpunk 2020, Doom Eternal and Halo infinite. Also liking the idea of playing Half-life Alyx at some point.

Budget is £1000 but very flexible as I'm not in a hurry.

What's worth getting?
What's worth knowing about?

Thanks

Soldato
Been working through my back-catalogue on steam for about 2 years; haven't bought any new games or paid any attention to the new tech that's come on to the market.

Smart!

Just wait to see what Ampere (RTX3000 series) brings / does to the market and go from there. Are you planning on changing your monitor? 1080p @ 60Hz is very achievable with current hardware so you could pick something up 2nd hand when people upgrade.

Soldato
You might be fine with just a gpu upgrade. I would try that first before going for a full overhaul. If you are sticking with 1080p/60Hz then a 5700XT or 2070 Super would be more than good enough.

Man of Honour
You might be fine with just a gpu upgrade. I would try that first before going for a full overhaul. If you are sticking with 1080p/60Hz then a 5700XT or 2070 Super would be more than good enough.
This .

The above gpu,s will run 1440p no problem

How much do you want to spend on a gpu ?

1660 super can be had £210 Will be more then adequate for that monitor.

Caporegime
This .

If he has a budget of £1k he should use it. There’s a real chance that Cyperpunk will stress his CPU quite heavily.

Soldato
It's pointless buying now when the game isn't even out and there's new hardware due out later this year.

The 5820K is still a very capable CPU for gaming, I'd look into OC'ing if it's at stock and see where you stand when the game launches.

Chances are you'll be fine just popping a new GPU in.

Associate
OP
Smart!

Just wait to see what Ampere (RTX3000 series) brings / does to the market and go from there. Are you planning on changing your monitor? 1080p @ 60Hz is very achievable with current hardware so you could pick something up 2nd hand when people upgrade.
Thanks. I don't like letting things go to waste
I'll probably go dual monitor, don't know if i should get something with greater resolution, increased refresh rate or both. The money is the issue, and picking which parts to get when.

Associate
OP
I’d recommend a whole new machine tbh. Not much from that can be carried over.
I'd rather avoid this if possible but I understand most of my stuff is hitting that retirement age limit.

This .

It's pointless buying now when the game isn't even out and there's new hardware due out later this year.

The 5820K is still a very capable CPU for gaming, I'd look into OC'ing if it's at stock and see where you stand when the game launches.

Chances are you'll be fine just popping a new GPU in.

I'll look at new GPU's and overclocking then. Apparently the CPU will boost to 4.1GHz so I'll read up on that and give it a try.

If he has a budget of £1k he should use it. There’s a real chance that Cyperpunk will stress his CPU quite heavily.
Having money doesn't mean I need to spend it. If I can avoid spending anything I will. I'm quite comfortable with less than best and besides £1000 is enough for a good holiday. If I can upgrade the PC and go on holiday then I'm really winning.

Soldato

Why ? No need to spend money just for the sake of it. A 6c/12t cpu is still relevant. Better to try a gpu upgrade first before potentially wasting money on a full upgrade. If the 5820K struggles then he can swap it out.

Man of Honour
Why ? No need to spend money just for the sake of it. A 6c/12t cpu is still relevant. Better to try a gpu upgrade first before potentially wasting money on a full upgrade. If the 5820K struggles then he can swap it out.
This

Maybe go for a more cable gpu than the 1660 super i sugested to hit 60fps in cyberpunk.

Back
Top Bottom