How did I not know the easy way to make onion gravy?

Soldato
For the past <mumble> years decades. I've made onion gravy the tradiional way (no, not Bisto), browning the onion in a saucepan, frequently adding a little water to dissolve and spread the fond. But just recently I discovered the easy way: just add a lot of butter (or other fat) at the start. You want enough butter that there's some left over after coating all the onion. The onion browns much more easily, you also get caramel from the butter, the onion doesn't burn so easily, and the process requires many fewer applications of water. Plus, when it's done, you just stir in flour and it makes the roux and you can then add water and other flavourings.

I'm a doofus!

Soldato
I fry onions slowly in vegetable oil.

Then chuck a load of bisto onion gravy and boiling water hahahaha.

They do a top of the range onion gravy (can't remember exactly what it's called) it's pretty good.

I've been cooking a long time, I'm certainly no Michelin star chef nor would I want to be, but I have come to the conclusion there are some things that are not worth the effort doing over using a jar/packet.

On the subject of gravy another is chicken gravy, I'll use the chicken juices sure, but bung in a load of white wine, seasoning and 2 or 3 chicken Oxo cubes boil that before cornflour, makes the best gravy.

You won't see any of these chefs on TV using chicken Oxo cubes lol.

Back
Top Bottom