How Do I Find My Old Docs And Desktop Folders?

Associate
Hi Guys,
I recently built a new PC. I took my old OS SSD out so I could recover a few folders, most of them are located in the documents and 1 was located on my old desktop. They are all game settings, car setups, bindings, you know them things that take years to gather up and the thought of having to start all over is sickening.

I plugged the old OS drive into my new PC today with the intention of dragging the files over but I can't find them anywhere.

I kind of had a feeling they wouldn't have glowing neon arrows pointing at them but I'm even drawing a blank on web searches. Just to be clear I do not have a "windows.old" folder anywhere visible as I installed my new OS on to a fresh SSD and only plugged the old drive in after the new PC was up and running.

My guess is they are hidden somewhere or need to be set to visible? Really appreciate any suggestions on how I can find my old docs and old desktop data.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Associate
The user folder should be visible on the drive along with the folder that would have held the documents and other folders, although you might have to take possession of the user folder on that drive to be able to access them.

To make sure that all folders are visible select view in file explorer and make sure the hidden items option is checked.

Soldato
Can you see the other hard drive in “My Computer” ?

If so, just double click it, then navigate through Users -> USERNAME = documents, downloads, desktop and everything else.

You may need to take ownership as mentioned above, feel free to PM if any questions

Associate
OP
Thank you for all your help.

The user folder should be visible.....
It only contained a Public folder that was empty. Even after I took possession.

Can you see the other hard drive
I could see it but it only had an empty user / public folder. Every file was empty.

I took a step back and disabled my new SSD in the boot menu. I fired the PC up with my old OS, zipped the files and dropped them into a different SSD. Booted new OS and there they was :)

Greatly appreciate your help.

Alex

Soldato
No problem at all, welcome to the forums also. Hopefully you dont have any issues and are just looking to spend money and get involved in the conversation :p

Back
Top Bottom