1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Do I Go About Building A Standalone Dvd Burner?

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by gib786, 15 Jan 2006.

1. gib786

Banned

I have a ton of dvds with footage from my 6th form years to copy for my mates, so instead of taking the long route of burning them on my pc im looking to build a stand alone copier where i can pop the orig disc in an have it burn to another dvd, anyone know how to go about doing this, what parts would i need etc?

2. Energize

Caporegime

Why dont you just put the original disk in the dvd-rom drive and tell nero to do a dvd copy, you can just set the number of copies you want to do, and simply put in another disk when it has finished burning the previous one. You wont really find a solution easier than that.

3. gib786

Banned

only got one drive in this rig, plus id rather have a unit to burn stuff without needing to switch the pc on

4. Energize

Caporegime

I suppose you could get a dvd-rw with a hard drive, but you'd have to put the dvds onto a hdd before you started burning them, you can also get units which are loads of dvd-rws stacked on top of each other which can burn about 10 disks at once, they arent cheap though.

5. toy_soldier

PermaBanned

For the sake of burning a few DVDs for mates, you might aswell save yourself some money and do what Energize suggested in his first post.

Google dvd duplicators for the expensive option.

6. >:|sh4d0w|:<

Mobster

How many dvds are we talking here.

7. gib786

Banned

had a look at duplicators, saw one for £80 minus the drives, suppose I could use my own drive along with a spare dvd rom i have. will have about 90-120 dvds to burn in total

8. toy_soldier

PermaBanned

Oh, I didnt think you meant that many, I suppose a duplicator would be a better option then, but if you use your own DVD drive in the one you talk about, wouldnt that mean you were still only burning one disk at a time anyway?

9. a1ex2001

Capodecina

I'd do like one or two sets and then pass them round your mates so they can burn a copy for themselves, Why do all the work yourself after all it's them that want the copies!

10. JAMAL

Soldato

Do a search on the net for ACARD dvd duplicator or type it into the search on your favourite auction site.

11. gib786

Banned

i ended up just shovin a 2nd rw drive to the pc an using nero to burn 2 discs at once, performing a test burn at the mo