1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i make a network printer wireless

Discussion in 'Networks & Internet Connectivity' started by parkie, 16 Nov 2009.

1. parkie

Gangster

I have a brother mfc-465cn which works great on through the ethernet but i'd like to move it somewhere where it won't be able to reach my router. what do I need to buy for this to work, is it a wireless access point or a print server.

cheers

p

2. Duke

Man of Honour

Wireless PrintServer would do the job. I've not had amazing success from the few wireless printers I've used though. Bit hit and miss.

3. mjd

Wise Guy

A wireless bridge is all you need if your printer is network ready :)

4. tolien

Caporegime

Something which will wirelessly connect to your router would be plenty and wouldn't have the complexity of a second print server. As mjd said, a wireless bridge (or any wireless router that'll do bridged wireless client mode) would be enough.

5. parkie

Gangster

can you recommend something?

6. doggs

Gangster

7. wij

Wise Guy

Or a pair of Powerline adapters.

8. paradigm

Caporegime

Sorry, but I'm going to pick on this a touch.

Why are people so obsessed with this powerline crap. Their throughput is shoddy at best, they even FEEL flimsy, and at the end of the day this still isn't a wireless connection.

Personally I dislike wireless (from a security perspective), which means I take the time to cable the building properly, even if that building is my home.

9. tolien

Caporegime

Bzzt.

Something like this would do it and would be a hell of a lot simpler to configure than a print server connected to a printer that already has one. It's also cheaper than one option.
    There's probably cheaper devices that'll do bridged wireless client too, but I know the WRT54GL will do it (because I have one).

10. wij

Wise Guy

Because at the end of the day it's a printer, so high-throughput probably isn't that important (and in my experience even the cheaper ones won't perform any worse than the average 11G link).

Not too sure why you think their throughput is "shoddy at best" I get fairly consistent 45Mbit/sec out of mine, double what 11G is capable of under optimal conditions. Sure nothing in comparison to the rest of my GigE wired network, but it was a nice easy way to put a hard wired connection where it was not practical / possible to run a cable into.

The wireless signal where the printer is going may not be the best, and if you're going to have to plug in a wireless bridge you could just put one of these into it.

Some of them aren't the best built, but the ones I have are perfectly solid enough, I mean you plug it in and leave it WTF are you doing to do to break it - throw it around your house a bit?

Oh, and lastly...

ITS ANOTHER OPTION TO CONSIDER.

11. parkie

Gangster

so would something like a Netgear WPN802 Wireless Access Point do the job?

p

12. Azuse05

Wise Guy

You just need a wireless bridge (or access point actice as the receiver), a receiver is relatively cheap, an old router running tomato or dd-wrt is even cheaper and equally effective. Power-lines have very poor speeds, particularly at the cheap end, but printers don't need huge speeds but it is more secure. Last option is both the cheapest and my favourite, buy an ethernet cable and spend 30min shoving it under every carpet, forcing it under every door. If you decide sometime next month/year you want more devices in thar part of the house you only add a switch. Getting it there is the difficult part, once it's there your life is easier & faster :p).

Those are your 3 options, cost/effort is what you need to decide.