1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do i (ubuntu) ???

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by knowlesy, 26 Jul 2007.

1. knowlesy

Mobster

im wanting to customize Ubuntu to a specific detail basically so that alot of the programs have been removed and that specific users only have access to the programs maybes background (change pic etc) and thats it...

ive removed the programs that i don't want and set up 2 groups admin and terminal users and thats all i want but i dont want terminal users to have options to services or systems etc how would i go about doing this (then i want to make an iso of the setup) and install on several other machines ive heard of alternate cd but i aint heard anything other than a customizable oem cd....

any help would be brilliant please

2. SiriusB

Capodecina

Have you looked in

System > Users and Groups?

If you click on a username and click Properties, under the prividges tab theres a list of things you can allow/disallow that user to do.

Having just taken a look I don't know if it will be enough, might be a good place to start though.

3. knowlesy

Mobster

yeh thats like access to fax scanner etc (off the top of my head) ive done that and it has narrowed it down i just want rid of the system link though

4. AndrewP

Mobster

If you're on about the top menus in Gnome, there should a be a Menu Configuration/Layout or something like that in System > Preferences which should let you remove program entries, or you can use XML files in a user's $HOME/.config/menus/ folder but that's trial and error and a bit of a pain.

You can't easily make ISOs which include your own custom settings (just packages really), post-install scripts for copying your configuration files over to the new machine should be OK. Imaging the whole hard disk would probably work as well, bit of a sledgehammer/nut scenario though.

5. knowlesy

Mobster

well there all the same spc realy so it should be easy just a hunk of old hp's pentium 3 (dunno what mhz) with 256 ram same mobo the lot..... thats all

thanks ill have to give it a look

6. 900I

Gangster