• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

How do I unlock just one extra core on Phenom II x2

Associate
I'm in the same boat here, although I have an M4A79XTD Evo and a 555. I knew it might not unlock but it does feel sh*te to be in the 20-30% that genuinely have bad cores. I've tried unlocking all four, the two different sets of 3 cores and upping the voltages, it will not boot windows.

It is a very good and cool running CPU though and as a dual I'm chuffed with it really, I'm currently running it with the 2001 BIOS and will update as new ones come out and try again but I do suspect that the 2 disabled cores are faulty.

Sorry to jump onboard PhilGQ but just wanted to add my similar experiences to the thread,

J.

Associate
OP
Sorry to jump onboard PhilGQ but just wanted to add my similar experiences to the thread,

J.

Your quite welcome, the more the merrier.

How's yours holding up in this warm weather, I dropped mine to stock and bellow, the (stock) CPU fan seems to be going crazy. If I take the side off the case it calms down a bit but thats not practical.

I have a Silverstone Fortress FT01 which is roomy, I was planning to get the Corsair Watercooler when I get some more dosh. In mean time I will have to do with the noise.

Associate
How's yours holding up in this warm weather
Remarkably well but I do have a few things in my favour, I'm using a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 for cooling which is blowing up and being exhausted through the top fan on my Akasa XONE, cheapo case but I think it's brill. I'm running with C1E and Cool'n'Quiet enabled so at idle it is only running at 800Mhz and it is sitting at around 28 degrees! I'm not gaming on it at the moment just doing some dev work in Visual Studio and browsing, I've even got Asus q-fan enabled on silent mode for both the CPU and case fans, it is virtually inaudible, the quietest PC I have ever owned.

If you do ever get an after maket cooler note that the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 I am using is an absolute pig to put together and put on the CPU, it's like a puzzle that is ready to fall to pieces in your hands at any moment but I've obviously done it correctly and got the thermal compound about right because it is very cool, dread to think what my temps would be if I started gaming.

<edit>
Just to add, I've just disabled Cool'n'Quiet and Asus q-fan so it is running at stock 3.2Ghz and it was idling at 32 degrees, I loaded up Prime 95 and ran it for 10 minutes and it tops out at 44 degrees, I can hear my case and CPU fans now though although it is not too obtrusive, the stock cooler must be pants or not seated correctly, maybe relook at your thermal compound?

Here is a link to the prduct page for the Akasa Freedom Xone - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-039-AK&groupid=701&catid=7&subcat=1511
Here is a link to the thread I found just before buying the case - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18129604
Here is a link to the product page for the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-028-CM&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=1395
</edit>

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@ bridder

I don't think I will be replacing by case, I don't think its really at fault, its got two big fans and a smaller one. There were lots Fortress builds in the case section when it was newer, others aren't having my problem.

I recon I will check the CPU cooler is seated correctly as you suggest. I would like to get the Corsair H 50-1 but as its a bit pricey I may pick up something like the TX3 you have for now. Thanks for the info.

Back
Top Bottom