How do you budget/manage your funds?

Man of Honour
I have a notepad file that details all my fixed outgoings. I subtract this from my income on payday to work out what I have to play with (my salary is bonused monthly so it's variable)

Soldato
OP
Well I've set up a pretty basic spreadsheet across 3 (working on 4th) sheets at the moment.

Sheet 1 = 'Main'. Column headers such as 'Opening Balance, General budget, Special items (i.e. buying a new phone, hardware, anything exempt from normal items), General expenses, Total expenses, Total income, Difference (Total income - Total expenses) and Closing Balance.

This sheet just generally outlines money going in and out, and I can see the variation per month.

Sheet 2 = 'Expense'. Basically a recording of all my expenses. I end up with 2 figures, General expenses and Total expenses, which I copy into my main sheet.

Column headers are 'Month, Date, Expense (short descriptiun), Expense cost, Cumulative cost. After each month I leave a spare row to add the Total expenses (same as final cumulative cost. I also subtract the cost of Special items to give the General expenses.

Sheet 3 = 'Income'. A recording of my various ingoings. Works in a similar way to the expense sheet, and I end up with a 'Total income' figure.

Column headers are 'Month, Date, Income, Income amount, Cumulative amount'. Under each month I have the Total income too.

Sheet 4 = 'Special'. A work in progress, using it to monitor my special items or irregular purchases that should be 'paid off'. Also going to be used for loans.

Might sound a bit complicated, but I did it in an hour or so, and was quite interesting. The real challenge is updating it regularly :)

Associate
I get paid weekly (sucks).

So

I have 2 accounts. Calculate my total month outgoings (approx £780) so pay £210 in every week. This gives me a little extra every week going in for rainy day or silly bill arriving. The other bonus is that there are a number of 5 week months in the year so I save an extra 800 odd every year. I almost never look at this account as i'd be tempted to skim a bit ;) Main bank is Natwest, 'bill' account is nationwide with no cashcard or anything.

Soldato
in my case, badly..

money comes in, bills get paid, rest goes on day-to-day living expense..

if I am very lucky, every few months I can juggle things around and buy something nice with all the pennies I have left.

I'm not rich, not even well off, but I'm content..for now

Associate
Mainly do the excel thing for ingoings and outgoings then for odd months I'll write everything I spend, even 60p for a can of coke etc, just to see what my actual outgoings are rather then what I think they are. The actual outgoings can be quite an eye opener.

Underboss
4 Sep 2009 to 1 Oct 2009
Budget Planner
Income - Section A
Your pay after Tax
Pension Income
State benefits
Interest/investment income (after tax)
Child benefit or maintenance
Tax credits
Other
Total Income