How do you cook your rice?

Associate
As above, I know how to do it but mine always seems to come out claggy, all stuck together. Tried allsorts but can never get that fluffy rice that I want. Suggestions please. TIA:)

Associate
Put it in water with a touch of salt and boil till its done. Depends on what kind fo rice you are using. Uncle bens long grain rice does the trick for me. Basmati can be quite sticky.

Associate
If you want fluffly rice then rinse well before, boil a decent amount of salted water and add rice when boiling - allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes.

For better flavour measure volumne of rice add twice the volumne of cold water add salt, bring to boil, cover and simmer gently till water absorbed (10-12 minutes)

Associate
Rice cooker - but then, 90% of the time we make sticky rice, so we're going for a different outcome really.

Soldato
Easy way:
Wash rice.
Put rice in saucepan.
Cover with water to about 2cm above the rice.
Bring to boil then turn down to low for 10-12 mins. (Water will absorb and rice will steam slightly)

Persian way:
Wash rice.
Cover with salted water and leave to soak for a few hours or overnight.
Boil twice to three times the ammount of water to rice.
Add rice to water and cook for ~10mins
Drain rice in a colander (rince with cold water to prevent further cooking)
Return rice to pot and put back on cooker.
Steam the rice for 40-60mins.
http://mypersiankitchen.com/persian-rice-cooking-method/

Or just get a rice cooker. :p

Soldato
If it's sticky, you're overcooking it - people always overcook rice. Take it off the boil and drain it as soon as it stops being crunchy and run a kettle of boiling water through it.

Commissario
I always use double the amount of water per fluid amount of rice and just wait for all of the water to go. Usually takes 20-30 mins with the lid on at a moderate heat.

Associate
If it's sticky, you're overcooking it - people always overcook rice. Take it off the boil and drain it as soon as it stops being crunchy and run a kettle of boiling water through it.

Not if you're actually aiming to make sticky rice :p But then, you use different rice in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom