How do you rate this forums growth/evolution since you joined?

Permabanned
This place definitely has changed over the years, it's just hard to say whats changed and even if it's a good thing or not because it's been so gradual! It does seem like there is more of a younger crowd now (this could be because I'm no longer part of that crowd lol) that don't appear to contribute as much as people used too, I certainly end up seeing more and more keyboard warriors and bickering about silly things :( less OcUK-etiquette!

A fair few of the older regulars seem to have moved on or are at least less active on the forums which is a shame.

I wouldn't say that the younger crowd don't contribute as much... I'm probably one of the younger lot and I wrote a full guide on watercooling for the forums :)

I agree that certain members don't; not going to name any names but it's pretty obvious who. The same could be said for certain members with higher post counts too.

I'm going to go out there and say perhaps Spie didn't always have a totally positive influence here.

I agree. There was a racist thread that he unlocked under the guise of continuing discussion when there was no discussion left. However at other points he did have a good influence :)

Caporegime
It's not Spie but a figurehead of the company that was fully involved in the forums, Now we have nothing apart from a faceless company.

Which doesn't detract form the community imo. it's the members that make this place what it is, and nothing else.

Soldato
Most (not all) of the interesting characters have gone, so it's not as fun and interesting as it used to be. However, I guess that's quite subjective at the same time. It just seems like these days it's the same handful of people who have to have the last word on everything.....every intelligent (well, GD intelligent :) ) thread gets boring quite quickly.

There's still the odd moment of brilliance of course....usually late at night and when the OCUK detectives get their teeth into something. I still also frequently find myself LOLing at some of the posts - even more since moving away from the UK.....I miss the British sense of humor so much. This is like being down the pub for me now :)

Soldato
I think OCUK like many other forums goes in fits and starts, or fads and crazes if you will.
I personally think that the way it is right now is about the best its been.
A few years back we had absolute retards as mods who let the power go to their heads and would ban you for anything yet let their "buddies" get away with all sorts.
Glad those days are gone.
Its still great source of info/advice and a bit of fun.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Which doesn't detract form the community imo. it's the members that make this place what it is, and nothing else.

But if the members don't feel comfortable or the same as it's been then there is no community.

Just check some of the main posters Daily post counts now to what they were 6 months ago.

Soldato
I do think that the forum has it's ups and downs.

I don't have an issue with the moderation and most of the sub-forums. But I do agree with 4TS's first few points if applied to the current state of GD. I do think it is a "down" at the moment with people more interested in troll or scoring points against people rather than helping them. It's almost as if the "high" for GD at the moment is at the level of the "low" of the school holidays used to be ...

Caporegime
In amongst the chaff, there is still plenty of wheat being posted imo, probably the same volume, just proportionately less due to the increase in chaff.

What I mean though, is there are plenty of other MUCH worse forums out there, regardless of the issues this one has.

Soldato
Personally I think some of the quality posts are a little rarer now in GD (the more technical forums still have great info, and great support), and the added frustration of some of the issues with the forums, such as read/unread posts not correctly updating and the forums grinding to a halt around midnight on some nights with no response from the admins about the cause, doesn't help things.

Overall though is is still by far one of the best forums I visit, even if it is missing some of the stuff that made it great over the years. I just wish I signed up and took part in these forums when I first discovered them, rather than just reading them (I was a lurker for years before I signed up).

Caporegime
But if the members don't feel comfortable or the same as it's been then there is no community.

Just check some of the main posters Daily post counts now to what they were 6 months ago.

A small proportion of old members who don't feel "comfortable" (whatever that means) do not make or break the forum. I've seen this kind of thing on various forums more than a few times... it's a time of transition, everyone (usually the oldies who are used to the way things were and don't like the change) moans about it, then a year passes and business carries on as usual.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom