How do you rate this forums growth/evolution since you joined?

Associate
It's definitely gone downhill in terms of traffic - not sure why. Also the mods have become more Bolshevik but tbf it still allows more free speech than 90% of the internet.

Soldato
I personally think that this year could go either way for the forums & the way the year has started it doesn't look good.
The community side & warm feeling has fell apart as the Younger/Newer members have missed the point when it comes to contributing/opening up. This has now changed into a I'm here & involved attitude which gives us nothing & doesn't add to the community at all.

I sort of agree with this to be honest. I've been here a reasonable amount of time and while I know I'm often purposely balshy and gobby, the feel in general of the forum is for me not quite as good as it used to be and I do think the place suffered a little when there was a large spate of people being banned or leaving a few years ago.

That said, I think a lot of how I feel about this place is down to me being less inclined to go to meets and get involved like I used to - meets still happen but I no longer go to them.

I still like it here, it's still my main haunt on the internet and it's still a great forum. I'm just less involved and less connected.

Soldato
OP
I personally think that this year could go either way for the forums & the way the year has started it doesn't look good.
The community side & warm feeling has fell apart as the Younger/Newer members have missed the point when it comes to contributing/opening up. This has now changed into a I'm here & involved attitude which gives us nothing & doesn't add to the community at all.
On top of this there's the obvious changes at the top with nobody or nothing to link the old with the new. Just because you own the company or are senior management or a valued team member/Employee this does not fill the void that has been left by Spie/Mark. There is no connection between the new & there doesn't seem to be any community based activity to link us All together.
Also I can't ignore the poor attempts to cash in on the community such as those **** T shirts which would have been fine if you/they had established a connection Before hand, As it is it just seemed like a quick cash raise to make the new books look good.

I really don't think the new owners or the members here quite understand just how valuable this place is, Like everything else in the World it will only be valued once it's lost. :(
This basically sums up why I asked the question in the first place tbh.

It seems the reason these forums were great was largely down to the oldschool internet attitude of both Spie and the original posters, but over time we are shifting towards a 4chan style of posting which younger posters are more familiar with. A lot of us oldschoolers grew up on Angelfire guestbooks etc... Not trollface (random example).

I loved it mostly for being particularly concerned with UK issues/life, but with the company shifting towards being less UK-centric, what does that have in store for the forum? I can only see it becoming less like the things that made it great, and more like the generic forums elsewhere.

We are gradually losing what made this place unique, and gearing more and more towards the younger generation who want to make it a globally generic internet forum.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I had never even heard of the term Trolling before I joined OCuk.....but then I am an old fudder who never frequented forums before I joined here.

Soldato
To those saying there's not a community feel, then create events.

The best thing about this place is how diverse the members are.

Finally, La Cuisine has been great recently. Some awesome, knowledgeable posters in there.

Soldato
If there's a couple of things that could help improve, then I think they're...

*Stop trashing threads. I do it too. When a thread comes up that's nonsense just ignore it and it'll fade away. Or if it's really terrible a mod will lock it.
*Move the flamebait serious issues to Speaker's Corner.

Man of Honour
I'm still posting so it must be good.

I love the characters and regulars on here (we have some mega forum-veterans like dm_poole etc). GD is also the best sub-forum and if you don't like it or what I bring to the table, sue me :p

Associate
Pretty much the.same. Thinly veiled racism, a lot of idiots and rich people. A friend asked me the other day why I still bothered using it, as he never rejoined after the nuke. Didn't really have a good answer, except that it's my forum equivalent of reading the daily mail site for my daily dose of outrage.

Soldato
There have been a few threads like this recently, where the OP has gotten older, grown up a bit and then wonder why the forums feels different to them.

Caporegime
There have been a few threads like this recently, where the OP has gotten older, grown up a bit and then wonder why the forums feels different to them.

This. Some people don't realise that it is them that is changing more than the forum itself.

I've 'outgrown' other forums that I frequented more than this one, with considerably more activity from my part, and it's mainly because I don't party and go clubbing that much any more.

Man of Honour
I love the characters and regulars on here (we have some mega forum-veterans like dm_poole etc)

I love you all but I really wish the Mods wouldn't be so trigger happy with banning troll type posters because we've lost some good ones.
It should be part of the FAQ that you stay out of threads if you don't want to join in the fun.

Soldato
I love you all but I really wish the Mods wouldn't be so trigger happy with banning troll type posters because we've lost some good ones.
It should be part of the FAQ that you stay out of threads if you don't want to join in the fun.

Yeah, i agree with you dm.......it would make the mods job easier too. Only judge/ban those that have been RTM, otherwise let it be.

Soldato
The whole vibe here is different to when I joined.

Some here are far too serious and seem to lack a sense of humour. Too many sycophants towards the mods and supposedly senior members.

It's still the best forum I use, for non specific subjects (the bikers cafe is the best forum here but that's obviously not as good as a dedicated bike forum for information etc), and it's the only forum that's a tab on my browser that loads up when I load the browser up.

Back
Top Bottom