How do you rate this forums growth/evolution since you joined?

Soldato
All points agreed with. There's no need to be mean to other people on the internet. You wouldn't do it in real life, so you shouldn't do it here either!

Sometimes I think it's right to be mean. However even then I'm starting to question if it does any good at all. You know when people come out with the real nasty selfish stuff on here.

Permabanned
Sometimes I think it's right to be mean. However even then I'm starting to question if it does any good at all. You know when people come out with the real nasty selfish stuff on here.

And the abusive stuff. As an example, when I asked a simple question as to why youtube blocked a video, and what I could do about it, people accused me of attention seeking. Which doesn't help me, the forum, or anything. It is just a way of making themselves feel more important by putting others down.

Note that this isn't a whine, this is just an example from personal experience :) It didn't bother me, more amused me :)

Soldato
I hadn't realised that until now - but it's very true, if someone I've agreed with in the past comes out with something I disagree with then I'll listen.

On the other hand there's a number of people on here who will just make a snap judgement after reading half of the OP and then stick to that no matter what. Sometimes they agree with you sometimes they don't.
Indeed, it's rare - so worth spending the time listening. As to be honest, 90% of people I disagree with, I tend to disagree with on everything.

Very few people are interested in an actual debate anyway, it's more a rehearsal of prejudices & regurgitating points of view which have already been accepted as fact - the real people who you can get to are the ones who don't post (As they are sitting on the fence from the start).

I'd love to find some statistics on something like this - ie, do a poll at the start of the debate - everybody has the debate - then another poll at the end.

Then see how the opinion changes, how much it swings & which way.

Permabanned
I change my opinions all the time, but as I get older I find that many of the positions people have in opposition I have already considered and either dismissed, incorporated into a wider opinion or accepted.......the problem is that many debates become polarised and only the extreme opinions are being considered. The problem I find in many discussions I participate in is that people have preconceived ideas and ideologies that they simply will not question, even when faced with a reasoned opinion they would rather blindly accept something they heard on youtube or down the pub, or they (and I'm trying not to sound conceited) simply do not have the intellectual ability or knowledge base to consider an alternative argument objectively...which makes the discussion a collection of statements rather than an actual debate.

There are notable exceptions and they are people I respect and take more time to consider their views and put more effort into debating with objectively.....you know who you are.

Soldato
I change my opinions all the time, but as I get older I find that many of the positions people have in opposition I have already considered and either dismissed, incorporated into a wider opinion or accepted.......the problem is that many debates become polarised and only the extreme opinions are being considered. The problem I find in many discussions I participate in is that people have preconceived ideas and ideologies that they simply will not question, even when faced with a reasoned opinion they would rather blindly accept something they heard on youtube or down the pub, or they (and I'm trying not to sound conceited) simply do not have the intellectual ability or knowledge base to consider an alternative argument objectively...which makes the discussion a collection of statements rather than an actual debate.

There are notable exceptions and they are people I respect and take more time to consider their views and put more effort into debating with objectively.....you know who you are.

I think you're not wrong, but you've missed the main reason people disagree on here. They won't ever admit to being wrong, and they want to win every argument.

Permabanned
I think you're not wrong, but you've missed the main reason people disagree on here. They won't ever admit to being wrong, and they want to win every argument.

There is that....no one wants to be wrong and everyone wants to win an argument, but that doesn't mean you are always right or the best way to debate is from a position of certainly.....I'm certainly not always right and I like to think that I concede when it is called for (not often..;))

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
There is that....no one wants to be wrong, but that doesn't mean you are always right.....I'm certainly not. :)

I know you're not always right - because sometimes you disagree with me. :p

However there are posters on here who will never admit they are wrong, and will simply vanish from an discussion once everything is nailed down and they nowhere else to wriggle.

Permabanned
I know you're not always right - because sometimes you disagree with me. :p

However there are posters on here who will never admit they are wrong, and will simply vanish from an discussion once everything is nailed down and they nowhere else to wriggle.

Haha.

Agreed. I hate the post and run crowd.

Soldato
There is that....no one wants to be wrong, but that doesn't mean you are always right.....I'm certainly not. :)
Indeed, part of the problem is that people put a part of their identity into a concept/belief or idea - that a challenge to the idea becomes a challenge to the individuals self-esteem.

Once you accept an idea at that level, it becomes very difficult to dislodge it & any challenge to it becomes intrinsically personal.

Personally I just side with the data - so if it turns out I'm wrong (it's not me that's wrong, it's the data :D).

It's worse when they don't run. They argue and argue and more and more people come in and point out they're completely and utterly wrong and not basing it on fact and eventually they leave. Death penalty threads are terrible for it.
That thread was like pulling teeth.

Every single argument in favour of it was factually proven wrong, yet in comes "captain late to the party" to spout his "opinion" as if it could move mountains.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Indeed, part of the problem is that people put a part of their identity into a concept/belief or idea - that a challenge to the idea becomes a challenge to the individuals self-esteem.

Once you accept an idea at that level, it becomes very difficult to dislodge it & any challenge to it becomes intrinsically personal.

Personally I just side with the data - so if it turns out I'm wrong (it's not me that's wrong, it's the data :D).

That thread was like pulling teeth.

Every single argument in favour of it was factually proven wrong, yet in comes "captain late to the party" to spout his "opinion" as if it could move mountains.

I find myself sometimes getting more and more frustrated trying to explain a concept or opinion to some people who simply do not have the faculty, either innately or prejudicially, to understand or counter objectively......which is why I am sometimes quilty of what Richdog accused me of no doubt.....

Man of Honour
Yeah, i agree with you dm.......it would make the mods job easier too. Only judge/ban those that have been RTM, otherwise let it be.

You might be surprised about the number of RTMs that are received in a day, often the "troll" posters have been reported so while the ultimate decision to suspend/ban will lie with the moderation team it's often picked up in the first instance by people outside the moderation team.

Generally speaking I think the forums have grown quite well and organically to the size they are now, that's not to say there haven't been some patches along the way where there have been issues but overall I think there's a fair balance between regulation and freedom. Much of the credit for the direction for the forums has to also go to the users who provide the content, the discussion and the arguments. There's a few posters I miss to greater or lesser extents but it's much like the rest of life, people will come and go for various reasons but life goes on.

I've not been here anywhere near as long as some but I do think that in the nearing eight years since I joined the forums the moderation team has become more approachable - that's not to say they're perfect by any stretch but back when I first joined I'm pretty sure any criticism at all would have been given short shrift. If you can keep it polite and constructive then the team are generally pretty reasonable people and willing to consider other points of view but do remember that any specific moderating decisions that you disagree with should be discussed off the forums so please email a moderator for such issues.

Back
Top Bottom