1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does a H20 cooler work?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by subbytna, 25 Apr 2010.

1. subbytna

Capodecina

ok the Corsair cooler, how does it work?

Do you have to mount it at a vent point in your case? Does the rad. vent out the back of the case at that point or where does the heat go to? I'm thinking of getting one but not overly sure how it actually works :o

the shame in having to ask but....

2. Eddie

Mobster

The radiator and fan mount at an air intake/outtake point, mainly at the back of the case, but some people have put it at other locations depending on what suits their particular setup.

Corsair recommend you have the cooler fan sucking air into the case but plenty of people have set it up so it blows out. The problem with sucking in is that you're blowing warm air into the case rather than exhausting it, but even so plenty of people are happy with the temps they get using that method. Also, a lot of people are using dual fans with it in push/pull and are getting great results.

In short, you can mount it wherever you feel you'll get the best temps, it's a bit trial and error as to where that'll be though.

3. Higadeb

Gangster

As said above, it doesn't actually matter too much what you do with the rad.
    I personally would have it mounted at the back of my case with a fan pulling the warm air out the back. Just my 2p

4. oli356

Soldato

H20 ? Isn't it a H50 :D?

As said above they recomend blowing air in, if you had a top fan i guess you can blow air out there. Seems like people get some pretty good temps with the H20 actually - after looking through a few reviews.

Wish i bought one instead of all of the stuff of Martini1991's old WC stuff... especially as the rad can't fit anywhere in my case anyway =/

Last edited: 25 Apr 2010
  5. mmj_uk

Caporegime

Pretty much as shoot1st says, I think you need a 120mm fan vent to attach the radiator/fan to most modern cases have one directly behind the CPU now which is where it would ordinarily go.

Last edited: 25 Apr 2010
  6. subbytna

Capodecina

dam yeah H50 and not H20....subby you noob :D

well spotted

7. iv-tecman

Sgarrista

Recommend you watch the installation youtube video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUxoFiFuS_g

One of the biggest problems with this product is that you 'might' need to remove your motherboard to install...

I considered getting one... Didn't bother in the end. Video was interesting though..

8. Hotwired

Sgarrista

:confused:

Sorry, is there any high end cooling you don't need to remove your motherboard to attach?

Actually I'm not entirely sure about how AMD sockets work but removing the mobo to fit a 3rd party cooler is nothing unique.

9. iv-tecman

Sgarrista

Guess not.. Actually think I meant to say 'bit of a pain' having to remove your motherboard to replace your cooling... :p I'm just lazy at times..

10. alexp999

Gangster

Unless you have one of these cases that has a back door, or hole on it. My old Sniper did.

11. Hotwired

Sgarrista

Yessss but either way the idea is you're fitting something on the back of the mobo and it's not just the H50 you need to do it for.