How does it work ? Is It Magic?

Permabanned
Pinkeyes said:
I first read about those trans-atlantic cables in "Cuckoo's Egg" by Clifford Stoll, about a true story of tracking a hacker.
Got some real good background into how world networking started - and how they had (at the time) only about 7 cables going across the atlantic.

That must have been some bloody big rolls of cable :D
Interesting snippet: the copper wires for the 1st transatlantic cables were made by Thos. Bolton & Sons in 1870 or so in Oakamoor (about 3 miles from Alton Towers.) All that's left of the original factory is some concrete lumps in the ground in what is now the "Picnic Area" in Oakamoor on the bank of the Churnett. If you go through Oakamoor on your way to the Towers, it's the big flat bit on your right as you go over the bridge.

Associate
Treefrog said:
Interesting snippet: the copper wires for the 1st transatlantic cables were made by Thos. Bolton & Sons in 1870 or so in Oakamoor (about 3 miles from Alton Towers.) All that's left of the original factory is some concrete lumps in the ground in what is now the "Picnic Area" in Oakamoor on the bank of the Churnett. If you go through Oakamoor on your way to the Towers, it's the big flat bit on your right as you go over the bridge.

Is that opposite the cricketers arms?

Permabanned
MookJong said:
This makes me feel much better about the day I was putting a bottle of milk back into the fridge and suddenly realised I had no idea how a fridge actually works. I quickly ran upstairs and googled it....
N00b! :p

It's the pixies that do it, they magically transport chunks of ice from Santa's workshop. It's the leftover bits of ice that mean your freezer compartment needs defrosting from time to time - they're very enthusiastic! :D

Soldato
Treefrog said:
N00b! :p

It's the pixies that do it, they magically transport chunks of ice from Santa's workshop. It's the leftover bits of ice that mean your freezer compartment needs defrosting from time to time - they're very enthusiastic! :D

damn I thought it was two really big plastic cups with lots of string tied together and some bloke shouting random zeros and ones. Guess you learn something new every day :p

Back
Top Bottom