How does USB headphones and a headset work?

Associate
hi

shall try and explain my question a bit better.
I currently have a pair of Audioengines 2+ speakers going into my pc via usb and was thinking of getting a pair of headphones but am unsure how to set it up, how to switch between the two and even what pair of headphones to buy under £80?

I'm using an Asus ROG B360-F motherboard if that helps.

Many thanks

Associate
For me if I run my Sound Blaster X7 (over USB), Windows will default to it over the built-in soundcard. Although I can switch between the two using the volume control in the system tray.

I would assume Windows will use which audio device you set as defualt in Windows.

Soldato
hi

I currently have a pair of Audioengines 2+ speakers going into my pc via usb and was thinking of getting a pair of headphones but am unsure how to set it up, how to switch between the two and even what pair of headphones to buy under £80?

Many thanks
Does that board have Asus sonic studio?
It has options far as I remember
Even to use different inputs for different software I think
Audio routing section or something like that

Soldato
Do you mean you have USB speakers and want to add a headset?
If so, simple, just buy any 3.5mm headphones or headset and connect to the motherboard output or even USB for that matter. In sound options you change the default audio device to the one you are using.

Unless you want to use them both at the same time, then its different.

Associate
OP
Thanks all.

So, I can just plugs the headphones into the 'line-out' and 'mic' and then just switch over to it? Will this not cause that 'interference' noise?

Any good gaming all-rounder headphones upto £80 that anyone can suggest?

Soldato
Ideally, you'd use the green socket on the motherboard and pink for microphone.

Whether you'd get interference depends on whether the motherboard audio is susceptible to EMI. No way of knowing really without connecting something and trying it.

The A2+ speakers have an aux/analogue 3.5mm input next to the RCA connections, you could connect to the motherboard green socket, if you have a straight 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable, rather than using USB. At least you'd get some idea of whether the motherboard audio is susceptible to EMI. If it is, you should hear it through the speakers. Any EMI is generally worse when a game is being played, as the CPU and GPU ramp up.

If you don't have 3.5mm to 3.5mm, then you can use RCA to 3.5mm cable, if you have one of those.

Associate
OP
Thanks Marsman

I think ideally i'd like to continue using my speakers via usb as that from what i've read is the best sound quality and to use a gaming headset via the front case line out/mic inputs.

Are wireless gaming headsets any good and would that make it more difficult to switch between the headset and my speakers?

Soldato
I wasn't suggesting using the speakers via aux/analogue permanently, only to determine whether your motherboard audio is susceptible to EMI.

USB is certainly the better connection for the speakers, but trying the aux/analogue might give you some idea of whether EMI will be an issue. Would rather suck to buy a headset/headphones, then find out your motherboard audio has EMI problems.

Using a wireless headset would be no more easy or difficult than just using wired and the motherboard audio; you'd still have to switch between the default audio output in windows options regardless. That is simple enough to do though.

Unless you can spend more money, I wouldn't consider wireless, because cheaper ones are not a patch on wired from a sound quality point of view. Reason being they require more electronics, which cost money, which means everything else has to cost less in order for wireless to be included in the design. That's no problem with more expensive headset/headphones, but when you've only got so much to spend, wireless headset at £80, is going to rather cheap and nasty.

Soldato
What Marsman said, it depends on the motherboard as to the audio quality / interferance.
Same again RE wireless - Best sticking with wired and getting a better headset or headphones and modmic

Associate
hi

Many thanks

I also have the A2+ speakers and just got a new headphone this week, both connected via usb and like what Timber said on 2nd post you can switch between devices by left click on volume icon on system tray.

Associate
Yeah, mainly for late at night as have neighbours above and below me.

Try using your MB sound output like mentioned on post #10, if you happy with that you can go for 3.5mm headphone otherwise go for USB headphone only.

Another option if you don't like the on-board sound is to get a portable USB dac like Creative G1 or G3 that will work with any 3.5mm headphone. For example G1 + Samson SR850 headphone (if you don't need mic) cost around £60 in total.

Back
Top Bottom