How fast is fast enough?

Associate
Trojan said:
For me, I can't ever see one of my cars being fast enough. Prolonged exposure to a car gets you used to the power, and I think you'll always want more a few months down the line.

When I went from my 1.1 Fiesta to a Saxo VTR, I couldn't believe how quick it was. After a few months however, I wanted more power, more acceleration etc.

I now own a Clio 172, and when I first bought that, it felt extremely fast. 6 months down the line however, and I'd love something with more power, as it now feels fairly mundane.

So yeah, how fast is fast enough? There isn't such a thing :p

i agree , when i had my 325 i thought it was like wow fast! then i got used to that and it became the norm, then i moved to a 330i which was like :eek: and once again i got used to that , Fast enough is different for everyone

Soldato
I have been out in the last model STi and that was fast, then i went out in a 911 c2 now before these two i thought you could never have too fast, however these cars on full chat scare the poop out of me for different reasons.

The sti is brilliant in the twisties and has a good deal of go, however for pure straight speed the 911 seems scarier its like a train. :)

olv

olv

Soldato
OP
cymatty said:
however for pure straight speed the 911 seems scarier its like a train. :)

that's the kind of speed i'm after, and the db9 just didn't do it for me. Yes i had a massive grin and the noise and speed were great but at no point was it "OMG I HAVE JUST SOILED MYSELF SEVERAL TIMES" fast.

How quick is the carrera 2 on paper?

Soldato
Mr_Sukebe said:
Easy answer, when it's fun.
That's why Smart roadsters can bring a smile to your face at 40mph, kart racers at 25mph etc.

This is the definitive answer. I've been in a modified Monaro VXR with over 400bhp, but it didn't feel particularly rapid because the power delivery was lazy and always on tap. Coupled with comfy seats and decent sound insulation, and I felt let down.

I absolutely love turbo engined cars for this purpose- the surge of torque that hits at full boost is great, and gives me a smile every time. It doesn't even have to be a fantastically powerful engine.

Soldato
Nothing has beaten my old 100cc racing kart for 'brown pant' moments. You could do silly speeds* in a straight line... and round corners for that matter :D

*Well about 80mph but it feels a hell of a lot faster 2inches from the ground!

Associate
thelankymatt said:
Nothing has beaten my old 100cc racing kart for 'brown pant' moments. You could do silly speeds* in a straight line... and round corners for that matter :D

*Well about 80mph but it feels a hell of a lot faster 2inches from the ground!

holy shamolys! 80 in a kart! i did 40 and was soiling my self :eek:

Soldato
olv said:
that's the kind of speed i'm after, and the db9 just didn't do it for me. Yes i had a massive grin and the noise and speed were great but at no point was it "OMG I HAVE JUST SOILED MYSELF SEVERAL TIMES" fast.

How quick is the carrera 2 on paper?

Around 5.5 secs to 60mph
12ish to 100mph
176mph top speed

Man of Honour
For me, performance wise, I want:

a) The ability to overtake 2-3 cars on an A road, with ease.
b) The ability to leave more or less any regular car behind
c) The knowledge that you needn't waste your time with any chav in a hatchback including VTS's and Clio 172's becuase you know yours is faster.

The Mondeo.... does a. Just about... with a long enough straight :(

Soldato
stig said:
holy shamolys! 80 in a kart! i did 40 and was soiling my self :eek:

I imagine it feels like warp speed... at any rate it felt like my teeth where being rattled out of my skull. I used to race up at Matchams where you could only really get up to 50/60 down the front straight... And if you had the bottle through the first turn aswell! :eek: :D

This was with a 100cc 2stroke Arrows engine built by foxcraft engineering. iirc it had a MASSIVE 24bhp, 18,000rpm and about 3-4hours life between rebuilds... if the chain didnt snap! Damn I miss karting, why did I have to grow so big?!? :(

Soldato
hmm i would want around 0-62 in 4.5 0-100 in around 10.
so basically looking at 400bhp in a scooby or evo. :)

or as a rounded figure lets say an easy qtr mile of 12.5.
don't care about top speed, so long as it's around 150, any more is really not needed

Man of Honour
I love the way all the people in here with slow cars are saying how yea, they'd need 4.5 seconds to 60 etc etc.

No way do you NEED that level of performance - 5, 6, 7 or even 8 seconds to 60 is still pretty quick.

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
I love the way all the people in here with slow cars are saying how yea, they'd need 4.5 seconds to 60 etc etc.

No way do you NEED that level of performance - 5, 6, 7 or even 8 seconds to 60 is still pretty quick.

when you've been in the ownership of your dads 350bhp wrx for 2 weeks, you start to really want that all the time. 4.5 obviously being from a full bore launch, but around 5 sec without launching say

Soldato
It's not about what you need, the question is about how fast do you want youre car to be :)

I want the VX to have the kind of power that it would be capable of pulling away from a le mans convoy, waving goodbye to the Lambos, Porsches and Ford GTs :)

Back
Top Bottom