How future proof is Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE

Associate
I overhauled my system back in March and currently have

MSI B450 Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600
Radeon 5700
16GB DDR4-3200

I think I was a little bit short-sighted with my motherboard selection, posts on the forum at the time were that PCI4 was not much benifit over PCI3 with current (at the time) graphics cards.

I'm thinking of swapping my motherboard out for a Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE, more to future proof my PC so that over the next few months, as stock becomes available, I can drop in a Ryzen 5000 series CPU and Radeon 6000 series graphics card.

Just want to check that the Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE is a relatively sensible choice for future proofing right now, I know that AMD generally have a long platform lifecycle, and Gigabyte are already offering BIOS updates to suppot Ryzen 5000 series CPUs.

Is there anything else I should watch out for with the motherboard world?

Associate
If you already have a B450 board then upgrading to a X570 is probably the worst choice you can possibly make. Your board will eventually get 5000 support and the pcie 3.0 x16 slot is still enough for these cards. Yes I did see some graphis giving pcie 4.0 a 2-3 fps advantage but if you are paying £200 for 2-3 fps I have some magic beans to sell you for £50 that will improve your fps by 1!

AM4 basically died November 5th. There might be some useless XT refresh coming in 4 months to get them back in the news before Intel launches chips Q1 2021 but for all purposes it will not have any other series made for it.

Unless you really think your 3600 is making your gaming experience just non enjoyable for whatever reason it's better to just wait to see what AM5 has. Yes it's about a year away but then you have proper future proofing.

If you really must spend about £200 for 2 fps then look no further than the MSI X570 Tomahawk: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...-am4-ddr4-x570-atx-motherboard-mb-351-ms.html

A much better VRM and £10 cheaper.

Man of Honour
If you have a decent motherboard like the tomahawk, then I wouldn't bother, it won't be any more future proof than what you have now, because you should still be able to have those upgrades.

Associate
How are they flawed if it's small % of this kind of cases? You talking about it as if it was an issue with every single one of them. I have x570 master and don't have this kind of issues. So?

because I'm reading about this all over the net (and have experienced it myself), it doesn't appear to be a small percentage. I'm talking about it as if you're gambling when buying one of those, and if you're one of the "lucky" ones you're stuck with it and there's nothing you can do about it.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the feedback, I think I got hyped up by the latesr AMD CMPS and GFX cards. To be honest, I play on a 1080x1920 monitor, and can run most new games pretty much maxed out.

I'm interested in the new GFX cards and CPUs but realistically I don't think I would gain amazing benifits from my standard PC usage from them, I was just thinking maybe I made a mistake back in March by not spening the extra £50 and going from a B450 (more than capable for my current CPU and GFX) and going for a more future proof setup with PCI.4 so that I can get thos GFX card memory bandwitdh benifits and future proof myself so I can drop in the latest Ryzen chip when stock become available over the nex few months.

My current rig performs admirably at 1080p, so maybe now isn't the best time to upgrade. I was just plotting my route, upgrade MOBO from 450 to 570, giving me the opporunity to add the latest CPUS and Graphics cards over the next year or two (and storage), and not regret being tied to PCI.3.

Also, there may still be 'some' value left on the market for a second hand B450 whereas in 6-12 months time, the money I can sell the board for will be gratefully dimished.

One thing I love about the AMD platform is the long lifetime that you can get if you select the right motherboard from the off.

Associate
One thing I love about the AMD platform is the long lifetime that you can get if you select the right motherboard from the off.

I think if you joined the AM4 platform in the early generations, then that was certainly the case ... but as mentioned above, it really appears to be coming towards the end of its run in that respect. After the current generation, it seems as though its a full change on the cards, socket and CPU. For that reason, if you are already mid - tier and dont explicitly need the newest, I dont see the jump being worth it.

Soldato
I overhauled my system back in March and currently have

MSI B450 Motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600
Radeon 5700
16GB DDR4-3200

I think I was a little bit short-sighted with my motherboard selection, posts on the forum at the time were that PCI4 was not much benifit over PCI3 with current (at the time) graphics cards.

I'm thinking of swapping my motherboard out for a Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE, more to future proof my PC so that over the next few months, as stock becomes available, I can drop in a Ryzen 5000 series CPU and Radeon 6000 series graphics card.

Just want to check that the Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE is a relatively sensible choice for future proofing right now, I know that AMD generally have a long platform lifecycle, and Gigabyte are already offering BIOS updates to suppot Ryzen 5000 series CPUs.

Is there anything else I should watch out for with the motherboard world?

All current AMD motherboard are dead ends. No new CPU's will ever be made for them, the socket is now pretty much dead.

AM5 will release next year, and will probably support the next 4 generations of AMD CPU.

Back
Top Bottom