How hard to decide for a Case can be?

Associate
Hello everyone,

Returning to Desktop Computers, I am planning my new rig to be purchased during the Christmas season. I have a very solid idea of what I want in terms of internal components, but can't find a case that doesn't make me think twice.

The computer will be for pure gaming, mostly MMORPG/FPS, on a 24" monitor. No 4k resolution.

With no wish to OC,

Asus ROG Strix Z270I / Z270G
i7 7700K or 7600K
1080 TI 11GB (blower type, was looking to the EVGA FTW3 Gaming)
Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz
Storage: 120-250GB SSD + 1TB HDD (2.5")
Power Unit to be fully Modular
Air Cooling (probably Noctua Fans, Be Quiet, etc)

Now my headache. Which case.

I am mostly interested in SFF or compact Mid Range and not running away from (LxHxD) 200x350x380 - 10 to 20L (Kimera Cerberus *cough*).

Fractal Cases; I love(!) the Node 202, small and compact, most likely turns into a 10L heat box? With two Noctua underneath the GPU, how cool it will be?
Other Case models like the Node 304 and 500, might follow the same problem plus are a bit less attractive. The Nano Define S, just like some other Case Brands and Models (e.g. Phanteks) with similar measurements, have the GPU right on top of the Power Supply, narrowing the possible space to pull fresh air.
If we jump to the Mid Range Cases, most of the attractive models have the similar setup or scale too much.

Any suggestions? Possible for other gamers to share their experiences running high-tech on a SFF? :)

Soldato
My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £277.08
(includes shipping: £11.10)

There are newer Intel 8th Gen chips out. Availability's a bit scarce just now (and prices are high, just seen the i5-8600K go up by £30) but there should be enough supply by the time you buy, as well as lower prices.

Yes, the GPU sits on top of the PSU shroud. However, the shroud is very well ventilated. You'd probably want to add a couple fans at the front though.

Associate
OP
Thank you for the feedback.

Jonsbo is a lovely case, just like the InWin 301, but there will be a very limited air intake. Similar case to the Phanteks, when compared to their Fractal Counterparts after looking some direct reviews between them.
On pros and cons to around twenty cases, I am more inclined for either the Fractal Define Nano S or Mini C (window Vs TG window). The latter is about 70mm taller, has dust filter on top, more space inside which would allow SLI - no interest on it atm - and breathe space between PSU and the GPU.

Danny, I am keeping an eye on the 8th Gen Chips :) Waiting OCUK to update their "Custom PC" interface to include them.

Soldato
Thank you for the feedback.

Jonsbo is a lovely case, just like the InWin 301, but there will be a very limited air intake. Similar case to the Phanteks, when compared to their Fractal Counterparts after looking some direct reviews between them.
After looking to the pros and cons to around twenty cases, I am more inclined for either the Fractal Define Nano S or Mini C (window Vs TG window). The latter is about 70mm taller, has dust filter on top, more space inside which would allow SLI - no interest on it atm - and breathe space between PSU and the GPU.

Danny, I am keeping an eye on the 8th Gen Chips :) Waiting OCUK to update their "Custom PC" interface to include them.

how could i forget...

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £214.09
(includes shipping: £11.10)

built in the larger o11 version with standard PSU- just a stunning piece of kit

Soldato
Having just come from using a Lian Li case for the past 5 years Rivets are a nightmare.

Are you dead set on small cases or would you consider a full tower, a lot more options that way.

Associate
OP
Yes Vidar, not much space in my Flat and personnally I want as small as possible, where I considered the Node 202 wasn't the temperature a big issue.

Phanteks air intake should be less compared to Fractal on same setup - plastic wise. In terms of size, the Phanteks is between a Nano S and the Mini C, but can only fit one GPU which will stay on top of the PSU. So, bigger than the Nano S, same limitation. :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
QBX Kaze is in my fav Cases list. The idea of pulling air and extracting almost directly is interesting but might not be good enough for a 1080TI and 7700K. Have you seen any top build around these components in the QBX?

Soldato
As you might note from my signature, I use the FT05 and I purchased it because the vertical alignment reduces the noise by improving heat flow: it's strictly up and out.

Associate
OP
Was looking again to the QBX Kaze. Could probably travel with me in the airplane instead of my laptop, just like the Node 202 but too risky build to deal with Temperatures later on - they seem a lot more popular for HTPC, where I have a pair of Gigabyte BRIX for the purpose :)

Associate
OP
I've seen his videos :) Would be interesting to see a comparisson between that one and the N202 on same spec. One thing that crossed my mind for these cases would be to place them horizontal (GPU side) on top of a Laptop cooler to induce more air.

Look at this guy,
https://************.com/b/KnGG3C
Completely hate him :)

Anyone know why OCUK Custom PC wizard no longer shows the Node 202 as an option? Or AMD Ryzen CPU.

QQ.

Laptop - https://i.imgur.com/qcc6ykg.png

Last edited:
Soldato
OCUK can probably put you on the right path but my search-fu has failed me. I remember seeing all-in-one systems with gaming GPUs. I think they were based around ultrawide monitors.

You might also look at PCs that can use a VESA mount.

Back
Top Bottom