1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How is this man racist?

Discussion in 'Speaker's Corner' started by Tommy B, 13 Jul 2006.

1. Tommy B

Sgarrista

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/5174010.stm

When they said that "on average, black people run faster than white people," that didn't seem to cause any controversy or protests, and no one said it was racist.

I quite agree.

I wonder what would happen if someone opened a car insurance company claiming that black people crashed more often and thus they only accepted white people. That's racist!? Yet, they get away with doing EXACTLY this but replacing white people to women and black people to men. That's not sexist! So what's going on then?

2. Shackley

Banned

Lordy, lordy, that's an old one. look up Hans J├╝rgen Eysenck and racism. Dr Frank Ellis probably did. :D

3. starscream

PermaBanned

Well, if he was a scientist at the university making detailed studies into the IQ levels and ethnicity, comparing it with other reseach on the subject and looking into quality of education and attitudes towards black people, it might be different.

What place does a lecturer in Russian have for just making a statement like "Black people are less intelligent than white people"?

4. Rich_L

Capodecina

Sounds like typical students with nothing better to do trying to make a name for themselves by organising a protest, was always some 'firebrand' going around at college on any issue, you name it.

Ridiculous really, not like he's suddenly going to change his mind by making noise and waving flags around (though it makes for an entertaining break from daytime TV), how about actually engaging him in debate and seeing where his ideas have originated from, and then challenge them that way.

5. Tommy B

Sgarrista

Exactly what I was thinking.

He's not saying he hates black people, he is simply stating the findings of his research. There is nothing remotely "racist" about this incident.

6. Borris

Caporegime

Or Chris Brand, as we had at university.

He was an insufferable pillock, but then again, so were the sanctimonious protesters.

7. Bear

Capodecina

One may be factual where as the other one is perhaps based on perception. Most of the worlds fastest sprinters seem to be black so there may be some truth in that certainly in the 100m. As to whether there has been any research into the comparison of intelligence between white and black people I couldnt say.

If it was said that, proportionally more black people were in prison than whites, then that is supposedly fact, therefore it wouldnt be racist.

8. Rich_L

Capodecina

Ironically, while the students will be patting themselves on the back for their 'achievement'

Sounds like he's laughing all the way to retirement..!

9. Borris

Caporegime

But he neglects to provide reasons - Such as socio-economic status affecting levels of education.

His methodology is flawed in that it fails to take like for like, and it is negligent in that it attributes the results to skin colour as opposed to education levels.

Was his motivation racist? I have no idea.

Was the result racist? Yes, in that it draws a conclusion based on race, rather than other factors.

10. starscream

PermaBanned

What research has he done into the subject, and what were his findings?

11. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

A more accurate statement would be that black people score worse on IQ tests than white people, as it has been shown many times that IQ tests are culturally biased.

12. Tommy B

Sgarrista

Just like most of the world's best scientists and mathematicians are white then?

13. Bear

Capodecina

If thats the case then yes :confused:

14. Tommy B

Sgarrista

I'm not being racist, I'm just comparing this incident to the running one.

I think it's pathetic that someone gets nailed for comments like this anyway. If a bunch of black people went on TV and said white people were more stupid I really wouldn't care. I'd carry on with my life, not use it as an excuse to protest. Pathetic people we live with.

15. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

He's wrong though. Or at best, he's misrepresenting facts. It's certainly worth a bit of a complaint.

16. Rich_L

Capodecina

I'm sure the fact that he has got a year on full salary without having to go to work, following which he still gets his full retirement package which he was going to take the following year anyway, may help ease the pain of being 'nailed' by a few grubby students :p

17. AJUK

Man of Honour

He isn't racist he is just telling the truth.

On AVERAGE black people are less intelligent than white people. On AVERAGE, asian people are more intelligent than white people.

There are really dumb white people and really clever black people, there are also extremely stupid asians and really clever whites. Many studies have been done into this and they have all drawn the same conclusion. Unfortunately the politically correct lobby refuse to accept the science and, as mentioned above this old story is nothing other than uppity students who haven't yet matured beyond sixth form politics.

Anyway, so what if the professor is racist, I can see no way his views will affect his ability to teach Russian and I doubt very much, unless asked by some smart arse trouble maker, that the subject would ever be examined in his lectures?

Bloody students.

18. Borris

Caporegime

Not if you can empirically show that the "best" scientists are white.

However, if you said that whites are more intelligent that blacks on that basis, you would be making a prejudicial statement that the claim does not support.

19. starscream

PermaBanned

Proof please....

20. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

The question is really whether the IQ tests are adequately testing intelligence, or whether they're testing something else, or whether they test inaccurately because of various biases, including cultural/racial bias.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2006