1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how long before I can assume a job application was unsuccessful?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Zaphan58, 9 May 2006.

1. Zaphan58

Wise Guy

I appplied for a job for work placement at Uni over a week ago and have not heard a sausage since, how long do you reckon before I can take it they were not interested? :o

2. lookitsjonno

Mobster

wasn't there a closing date?

3. Sparky__H

Wise Guy

Ring and ask them.

4. Bes

Soldato

2-3 weeks? Depends on the company really....

5. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Months, seriously, a week? Is that it? Some of the placements I have interviews coming up for I applied for 6 months ago and only heard a month back.

6. Raumarik

Capodecina

If you've got the job you usually know within a couple of days in my experience to be honest mate :( No longer than a full working week anyway.

Always been told the same day or following day if I was successful, can take a month to get a "sorry" letter especially if your applying to councils or large corporations with rubbish HR departments.

7. Zaphan58

Wise Guy

Well yeah but that was just a closing date for applications which also passed over a week ago.

It seems a week is nothing so guess I shall just wait and see.

8. iCraig

PermaBanned

Little tip:

If they do ring back and say you were unsuccessful, don't just say "ok thanks anyway lol bye noob"

Ask them why, how did they feel the interview went? They'll usually tell you quite a few useful (albeit negative) things about yourself that you can work on for your next interview.

:)

9. MaxPower

Wise Guy

I agree with this it not only puts things to rest either way, but if they are still selecting shows that you are very interested in the position.

10. Wyrdo

Capodecina

I remember when I worked at Philips and we had a placement student in every year. Took us quite sometime to decide who to interview, weeks usually :p We did have stacks of CV's from multiple unis to look at.

11. Going to Cali

Wise Guy

Don't rule it out, took ages for some to get back to me. In the mean-time thought, just keep looking.

12. Bes

Soldato

Depends on the stage he is at.... If final interview stage, I would expect to hear within a week.... The first stage? Could be weeks