how long do sms's try to get delivered for?

Associate
Hello,

On Vodafone, how long will the network keep trying to send a message before aborting if a phone is off or out of range? When a phone is turned on, do the queue'd messages normally come thorough immediately?

Also, if a phone is off is their a way to find out if you have been called, such as a call catcher or similar that you used to be able to get?

Thanks,
Dave

Caporegime
I would imagine that once its sent from your phone ie its left the outbox its then up to the other network to accept the text etc...usually if someone sends me a text say the previous night but my phone has been off...ill get it as soon as i turn my phone on...i imagine its the same with all networks.
But if a text is sent a month in advance but the phone receiving it is off..then i dont know if it will ever come up on the other phone....its something you probably need to ask your provider as they will be better informed i would imagine.

Associate
There's a validity field in the SMS which which can range from 5 minutes to 441 days.

The phone will decide what to set it at, and some phones will let you choose. Typically its 3 to 30 days.

--

If validity_period is in the range from 0 to 143, validity period = (validity_period + 1) x 5 minutes.

If validity_period is in the range from 144 to 167, validity period = 12 hours + ((validity_period - 143) x 0.5 hours).

If validity_period is in the range from 168 to 196, validity period = (validity_period - 166) x 1 day.

If validity_period is in the range from 197 to 255, validity period = (validity_period - 192) x 1 week

Back
Top Bottom