How long does it take you to get to sleep?

Soldato
Seconds, literally! It's a nightmare on trains and planes - I snore too. I often wake to people unashamedly staring. Some find it funny, others look on with utter disgust :)

Associate
Used to be incredibly bad - if I was asleep by 4am I was doing well...

Im getting better now, if I go to bed at 10-11pm - I can be asleep by 130am

I've never been a good sleeper though :(

Associate
depends on loads o things level of heat/cold, what ive eaten/drank, worries etc but on average between 10mins to 1 hour.

had trouble recently and reluctantly tried horlicks and that seems to have a) helped me sleep and b) kept me asleep till at least six thirty unless i've had to be up before that.

Soldato
On average these days it takes me an hour but it depends on 5 main things really...

• Where I am
  • Who I'm with
  • How much I've had to drink
  • If I've got a good book to read
  • If I've got something on my mind

:D

Soldato
It's always taken me ages to get to sleep. When I was 12-13 or so, and had a 10pm bedtime, I'd see 2am, sometimes even 3am on the clock before I got to sleep. Every night.

Ended up going to see the doctor about it, but they couldn't really do much without sleeping pills which he didn't want to do at that age.

Nowadays it's not too bad because I go to bed later, I've given up having a clock in the room (ticking clocks annoy me, and I clock-watch if I have an LED clock), but it takes a good couple of hours for me to doze off every night. Very annoying if it's midnight, I have to be up at 6:30am for work, and I know that I'm not going to get any more than 3 or 4 hours sleep tops. No matter what time I go to bed, I'm never asleep before 2am.

Man of Honour
Varies for me, anything from around 20mins to 1h30. When I was younger and used to go to bed at say 10pm however, it would normally take me a couple of hours.

If I'm sharing a bed then it can often be a very long time, over 3hrs because I do not fall asleep easily (can't sleep anywhere but in a bed) and any kind of noise or movement disturbs me.

Generally speaking I go to bed quite late which normally means I'm tired enough to fall asleep in under an hour. The problem for me is that I feel absolutely terrible in the mornings, far more tired and sleepy than I do at night. As an example, within 2mins of turning my alarm clock off I can be back asleep again.

Suspended
Rich_L said:
Umm a couple of minutes usually I guess, though when tired I've been known to fall asleep mid-conversation....:D Even if I'm not particularly tired I can fall asleep if I'm bored and want time to go a bit faster, is very useful for long-distance travelling. :)
Hah, exactly the same. Since university I seem to have perfected the technique of falling asleep at will. Unless I'm completely alert and awake then I can nod off anywhere.

Associate
Depends for me. I'll sometimes have periods where I struggle to get off at all and end up with ~3 hours, but most of the time I'm asleep within 5 or 10 minutes.

If, like tonight, I have a migraine, I'm usually straight off -- best cure in the world! Though it does mean once I've woken up I stay awake until silly hours of the morning.

Associate
apparently it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

i also heard that if you feel tired when you wake up and when you go to bed then that's fine but if you feel tired when you're doing something active in the middle of the day then you haven't had enough sleep.

why is it so much easier to sleep with the lights and tele on?

and how come i can't sleep when i share my (double) bed with my girlfriend?

Soldato
Before I had my apnea treated I didn't sleep properly anyway but the first feeling of falling asleep I'd have would be about 45mins after being in bed and relaxed (I've never been able to sleep anywhere other than a bed unless I'm drunk).

Now I've got a CPAP machine for my apnea I'm out like a light fairly quickly, max 20mins and I've never had to get up and do something or read to get bored/tired. I've no idea why it helps, perhaps it's just the routine of putting it on but I feel relaxed the instant I start breathing through it. absolutely fantastic :)

also found it cures mild hangovers, no idea why but even if I just sit with it on for 10mins *puff* away goes the hangover!

Associate
10 minutes... I have the lights off, get in my bed, and watch tv... the next thing i know it's 4 or 5 in the morning, and the TV is still on (I keep it on the news channel). So I pretty much know the news when I get out of bed.

So 10 minutes to get to sleep is my answer.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Exactly the same as above for me, i always always wake up with the TV on when at home.

I seem to be able to sleep at any time anywhere though, if i relax for one moment i generally start to drift off.

Back
Top Bottom