How many KGs, what weight to do?

Soldato
hi,

I did tricep curls at 28-32kg, having not weights for some 2 years...my arms killed for the next few days!

I'm doing lat pulls down, and some bicep work today...

not sure what weight i should be using.

Thanks

Associate
Tricep curls?

Lat pull downs start at half your body weight and go from there. To easy, add 10kg for the next set. Still to easy, add another 10kg. Keep adding until you struggling for good form and the last 1-2 reps of each set.

Bicep curls go with the heaviest you can curl without swinging the weight. If you cant curl it slowly and under control its too heavy.

Soldato
Advice above is spot on. Also remember to pin the elbows to the side (without using the illium/hib bone for support) and don't let them come forward at the peak of contraction.

There's no such thing as a tricep curl :p

Ant :cool:

Man of Honour
As I mentioned in another thread. Make sure that by the end of your last rep of your last set for that particular exercise you are finding it nigh on impossible to do without screaming, shouting or crying and perhaps bleeding a little. So choose an appropriate weight that by the end you achieve the above. If you struggle to do your full amount of sets/reps the weight is too heavy. If it's too easy, the weight is too light.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Bicep curls go with the heaviest you can curl without swinging the weight. If you cant curl it slowly and under control its too heavy.

There is some use in a swinging on a bicep curl, but only once you've exhausted strict reps, or you're concentrating on the later half of the bicep curl movement.

Soldato
There is some use in a swinging on a bicep curl, but only once you've exhausted strict reps, or you're concentrating on the later half of the bicep curl movement.

Sorry msm, I disagree mate. If you want to work past failure the best thing to do is use single arm curls and use the other arm to assist so you can maintain form. Or use a spotter.

Ant :cool:

Caporegime
agreed, sometimes a bit of bad form so that you can concentrate on the negative is fine, but with your arms its better to move to a DB and use your spare hand or have someone help with a barbell / ezbar for additional reps.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Fair enough. The swing is almost like a spot for yourself, so you can get it past the half way point of the movement.

Last edited:
Associate
As I mentioned in another thread. Make sure that by the end of your last rep of your last set for that particular exercise you are finding it nigh on impossible to do without screaming, shouting or crying and perhaps bleeding a little. So choose an appropriate weight that by the end you achieve the above. If you struggle to do your full amount of sets/reps the weight is too heavy. If it's too easy, the weight is too light.

or just take a few E's and call it quits. lol

i go by the number. e.g. start light do it 12-15 times (what ever weight you can manage at those numbers) 4-5 sets (over doing it gets boring)

e.g. 30kg x 12-15 x 4-5 sets (each set getting heavier)

Soldato
actually i have to say i agree with msm for the swing. One of the decent things about a swing (particularly for your last reps) is that it will help to build stabilising muscles in primarily your back and shoulders. Granted it is a form of cheat but whatever.

I have a massive argument with an instructor at "Planet Pulse" in NUL once about how i did my shoulder throws as i lift and bend my arm and "push" almost out the last rep. Basically this movement works a much more expansive set of muscles, gives good fatigue to all groups in relatively few reps and whats more you see results inside of a couple of months (without having to do a separate exercise).

Good bit of advice is don't always listen to what the "experts" have to say

Caporegime
Chin ups.

On this subject, I am 5'11'' and weigh 177lbs (just over 80Kgs). I can only do 8 x 3 wide grip pull downs on the cable machine at 45 Kgs, last rep of last set is a failure.

At point point should I consider humilating myself by attempting bodyweight pull ups on the smith machine? I don't particularly want to set it all up and fail to even do one pull up, as that would lead to extreme embrassment :p.

Back
Top Bottom