How many of you have Auto updates turned on?

Soldato
*which is sometimes annoying when it installs critical updates and restarts automatically after 5 minutes :mad:

Edit: the top half of my post disappeared, how strange :confused:

Download only option is selected at home, at work we use WSUS*

Last edited:
Soldato
I wasn't suggesting that they're arent forced, merely that the reboot delay be extended or disabled. Still, if you arent an administrator then that's that really :(

Soldato
Otacon said:
I wasn't suggesting that they're arent forced, merely that the reboot delay be extended or disabled. Still, if you arent an administrator then that's that really :(

I didn't mean to suggest that you were suggesting that they aren't forced (if you know what I mean). I could administer WSUS but would have my hands chopped off by my boss if I did, we're part of a larger company who like to dictate and enforce policies far too much :D

The place I worked at last was great, it was a small company with a developing network so lots of room for "playing" with stuff. The place I'm at now is part of a global oraganisation with well set out infrastructure that's been working fine like that for years.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have it set to notify only. Used to have it switched off completely

No way would I ever have it set to automatically download and install! This has all kinds of security implications attached!

I've also completed disabled the Security Centre service as it's a waste of time and resources

Man of Honour
ACPCUP said:
I never ever have Auto updates on. Especially Microsoft ones!! I don't trust them. I have never had an issue for not having auto updates on.

I've never put an update on since XP came out.
If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

About six months ago I had at least eight users ringing me up saying their copies of windows needed updating and they could ring Microsoft and pay for it :D
They had sent something in the Auto Update and they knew if the machines had pirated copies on.

Associate
Will turning on auto updates to get the latest patches, alter any other settings on my machine or break it in any way ?

I don't trust MS.

I've not applied any updates for 6 months, and have had no virus or problem of any sort.

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
Ok so this thread made me paranoid enouth to turn everything off again.
So i was WRONG and Lazy. :D
All switched off and No bother.

On a side note. I fitted a new HD after my old one died. Pffff
How ******* long does it take to get your system back to normal. FFS.
All the tweaks,links etc.

Soldato
Errol said:
Will turning on auto updates to get the latest patches, alter any other settings on my machine or break it in any way ?

I don't trust MS.

I've not applied any updates for 6 months, and have had no virus or problem of any sort.

You should just get the latest patches but it has been known for them to cause problems with your PC

Associate
dmpoole said:
I've never put an update on since XP came out.
If it ain't broke then don't fix it.
The trouble is, Windows IS very very broken. (pardon the pun)
Especially the 'XP gold' release.
Without the most critical updates installed you are very vulnerable.

However,as far as auto updates are concered, I have the service disabled.
I'm a control freak when it comes to my pc, and I update manually. ;)

Associate
I used to have it enabled, to pass the uni inspection it had to be on, and i have left it on "notify when there is a new update but don't download until I say Yes" mode so it keeps them happy and saves me the bother of firing up windows update (the only task that requires IE)

Back
Top Bottom