How many people got their job through "connections"?

Soldato
I got my initial chance on a 3 month temporary post to cover someone who was on maternity leave because my Dad knew the then manager of the team. I proved my worth and was made permenant shortly afterwards. Due to some bad decisions I made early in life, I didn't get the qualifications I should have. Fortunately due to that break, I was able to prove I was capable anyway.

My personal feeling, albeit somewhat biased, is that it doesn't matter how you got the job provided you can do it. While I know that could well bite me in the ass later in life losing a job that I could have done to someone else because they were better connected, so long as someone doesn't get a job who doesn't deserve it or isn't actually capable of doing it, it's all fair game.

Last edited:
Soldato
Theres a big difference in my having job connections and whether you are fit for the job. I wouldnt feel guilty about it though, if you are not fit for the job then no shortcuts will help you.

Best of luck!

Soldato
It seems quite common within engineering. There were a few people in my boyfriends class who got jobs because their parents were fairly high up with engineering firms or had friends who were. I'd say it's frustrating, but my boyfriend got a £36k trial position through one of them so I can't complain!

Associate
Got my current job through luck, and interview technique... honest!

Saying that I have had offers from contacts I have built up over the last couple of years in industry so if I wanted to move I'd probably have a foot in the door now!

Associate
Ok let me get this straight you’re guilty about getting a job in the “old boys club” instead of someone from the “old boys club”.

The “old boys club” uni’s & schools are all based around “connections” & buying “connections”.

So why on earth should feel bad about getting a leg up when the competition has been getting a leg up all there lives!

Those who define as “better” most likely aren’t in the real world & some time companies need people from the real world to keep things realistic.

Also you could be being used to change or distort there image from that of the “old boys club” to an equal opportunities employer.

Soldato
Connections are great and should be used to get your foot in the door whenever possible.

What they shouldn't be used for is keeping yourself in a position you cannot do and have no chance of doing correctly.

Soldato
I don't think he fits into an IB.

Feeling guilt is not something you should have in front office. Should be IM THE BEST!!! **CUE** ARROGANCE.

:p:p:p Just embrace it tbh, go in work your **** off, then go out with everyone after work and have a good time. Then wake up next day and do it all over again.

Man of Honour
I was fortunate enough to meet a (very distant) contact that was high up at a firm where I recently secured a job. Having met this individual for lunch to ask questions about said firm, I built rapport with him and other individuals I met. Following further correspondence, I enquired about the possibility of voluntary work experience and successfully managed to be generously invited to the office for a week, completely bypassing the usual HR recruitment procedures.

After my work experience, I applied for the job using the usual application form, citing my previous experience of the firm. Of 2200 applicants, I was one of 150 that was invited to do a verbal reasoning and mathematical on-line test, where the top 24 performers were chosen to make it to the assessment centre stage, and ultimately one of the 8 that got the job. The 2 hour interview with 2 partners was conducted by individuals I hadn't met, and I was later informed none of my contacts were allowed to contribute to making any decisions following the assessment day.

So, I did have a huge advantage in getting my foot in the door, but ultimately it was me who did the impressing, took the initiative to make the most out of opportunities presented, and beat the competition in the negotiation, presentation and mathematical / written analysis exercises. I am most grateful for my fortune, but I feel like I certainly earned my eventual reward.

In agreement with the above, some people are given the silver spoon effect even by their school. One section of my application forms for various firms have asked me to list any academic awards - none have been available to me during the whole of my education, so I had to leave those sections blank. It amused me when I read a successful application from a well known private school applicant, where it listen ~10 awards along the lines of 'The John Miller Award for Geography A-level', when I had actually performed equal or better than him in the actual results.

Last edited:
Soldato
my personal experience with connections and industries like banking are that they will definitely get you an interneship/interviews, but not the job unless your competent which you'll prove during the internship. I know plenty of people who did internships at banks through contacts and most of them didn't get the offer.

In IBs the area i've seen connections work best is PWM, where generally if daddy is a client, you'll get a job if you want it.

if you've got connections, use them, why make life more difficult for yourself than it needs to be? You'd be mad not to in my opinion.

Associate
I work in an investment bank and my entire team was recruited this way (by knowing someone who knew someone etc)

It's the only way we recruit people. If we get a CV passed to us by HR we literally chuck it in the bin without even looking at it.

In our line of work, it's much more important to have someone vouch for you/pull you in through connections then through blind applications.

My MD is the one who pulled me into it so I didn't go through the normal recruitment process, infact I was working at another bank when he offered me the job in the first place.

Besides if you can't cut it, you'll be out in 3 months so if you're still there after that you've probably earned it unless your team is all useless deadwood in which case you get lucky, you get a paycheque for nothing.

Associate
It's the name of the game if you want to work in the City in IT. If you are no good at it though you'll be found out in 1 hour flat. I did 3 years work for an IB near Liverpool street, never again.

Permabanned
Ok let me get this straight you’re guilty about getting a job in the “old boys club” instead of someone from the “old boys club”.

The “old boys club” uni’s & schools are all based around “connections” & buying “connections”.

So why on earth should feel bad about getting a leg up when the competition has been getting a leg up all there lives!

Those who define as “better” most likely aren’t in the real world & some time companies need people from the real world to keep things realistic.

Also you could be being used to change or distort there image from that of the “old boys club” to an equal opportunities employer.

Did you go to uni?

On topic:

I don't see any problem with getting a job through connections as long as you're fit for the job.

Associate
Earlier this year I got made redundant and as part of the package had access to an outplacement scheme. One of the things they said there was that
• 9% of jobs are filled by job agencies
• 21% of jobs are filled by job adverts placed by the recruiting company
• 70% of jobs are filled by networking
So take the job if you want it and you’re not alone using your contacts to get the job.

Soldato
Contacts play a huuuge part in recruitment, don't forget it also saves the company's time and money as they don't have to advertise or interview many candidates if a current employee can easily recommend someone they know.

I didn't know at the time, but I later found out that I got my placement from Uni because my friend's Dad put in a good word. Apparently my interview wasn't very impressive and they wouldn't have hired me based on that alone. A year later and they were happy they did though. I also managed to return after finishing Uni so I got my current job based on being there for my placement, I didn't have to have an interview this time.
I've also had jobs at my Mum's work just based on her recommendation, I had a brief chat with my supervisor but not a formal interview.

Soldato
It actually sounds like you got the job on your personal merit, ignoring qualifications (if they're usually pickier than that), which is surely a better way to get a job. Sure you got the internship based on your "connection" but if you'd not taken that chance to prove yourself you wouldn't have got the job. Well done

Back
Top Bottom