How many people have left IT jobs for alternatives?

Bes

Bes

Soldato
asim said:
Hey. Its kinda late so there may not be many replies to this at the moment but I was kind of interested in this topic.

I hear a lot about people switching fields after university or after working a certain period of time in a certain job. Sheer unhappyness or not feeling like its a challenge. And a few times I've heard of people who have decided to not pursue a career in IT because they got really bored sitting behind a desk 8-10 hours a day.

Now to be perfectly honest, sitting behind a desk 8-10 hours a day or in an office that whole time surrounded my computers does not appeal to me. So why did I do a networking degree and a ccna? Parental pressure. Anyway now that I've got the education out the way I have this thing called free will and its sort of swaying me away from the office job and more thoughts towards something enjoyable. Not sure what that enjoyment is yet but I know I wont be in IT for the rest of my life.

The point to all this.

I'd like to know who here has left the IT industry? What was your reason for leaving? And what alternative did you find? Does the alternative pay better? Are you happier?

Hopefully this will help me in my pursuit for happiness.

Thanks
Asim
If you want to stay in IT but don'twant to sit behind a desk all the time, try going into IT consultancy.... My job entails travelling all over the world, working in some major companies and whilst there are times where you are just sat behind a desk doing something boring, you also spend a lot of time interacting with the customer, etc. You also get exposure to a lot more interesting products/ technologies. The pay/ benefits package most IT consultancy companies offer is also superior to other fields in IT, and the salaries seem to increase quite steeply/ quickly (i.e. if I do well, it should double within 3-4 years). From what I understand this is pretty consistent with most IT consultancy companies.

Soldato
Bes said:
You also get exposure to a lot more interesting products/ technologies. The pay/ benefits package most IT consultancy companies offer is also superior to other fields in IT, and the salaries seem to increase quite steeply/ quickly (i.e. if I do well, it should double within 3-4 years). From what I understand this is pretty consistent with most IT consultancy companies.

These bits are all very true. It's a great job for someone who wants to travel and get their feet in with a good company early. However, if you enjoy being near home/around family & friends then you won't like it much. Definitely worth doing for a few years to get a whole wealth of experience though.

Associate
Bes

How do you get into that kind of job thou? what qualities or qualifications are needed. It's the type of job I would love, but I have no clue how to get there. Experiance needed? any info would be brilliant.

Soldato
Can someone please define an IT Job?

When I hear IT, I think of an office worker, someone that gets paid to sit and type in spreadsheets and word documents all day. Administration work.

Soldato
vonhelmet said:
I'm quitting a job as an IT tech in a school to start a career as a tax advisor. Better pay, better prospects... should be good.

I'm working for a private client tax firm at the moment, although I wouldn't fancy it much as a career. University -> Investment banking is the plan at the moment.

Associate
It's interesting for myself that this thread should come up now, as I'm at a bit of a crossroads in IT work at the moment.

A company I started a couple of years ago with a friend has got to the point where we can't feasibly continue. We have done web design, database creation, and network support in the time the company has been running, but there were 4 of us all doing different things so I'm not knowledgeable on all those things. I was primarily involved in the web design side of things, but the work we have had has always been fairly basic stuff.

Anyway, as we are all going to have to do our own thing now, I am not really sure what to do. I have always had a basic knowledge of web design stuff, but I don't know enough to be able to go to a company and say 'Yep I'm your man for that job' etc. I don't think I have the creative type of mind required to be really good at it.

I've been considering learning SQL or something and just get a job doing something like that, but can't help wondering if I should just get out and do something else altogether. Only thing is I'm 24 now and don't really want to spend a load more time learning something completely different.

Argh, decisions decisions!

Soldato
Ukadder said:
How do you get into that kind of job thou? what qualities or qualifications are needed. It's the type of job I would love, but I have no clue how to get there. Experiance needed? any info would be brilliant.

Either a degree and apply for a graduate position, or a few years relevant experience and look for jobs that are advertised.

Associate
a good friend of mine was a design engineer (using a pc to design parts), pretty well paid from what i can make out but a combination of not liking the company he was in and getting really bored / stressed at work made him throw it in.

he just got sick of it and quit, started up as a landscaper / handyman, self employed.. he's been doing it now for close on 5 years and having chated with him about it the first 2-3 years were really hard to get through.. being short on money, switching from sedantary work sat at a pc all hours to totally manual work humping rubble and machinery around but he's enjoying his life far more now.

personally i've been in the IT business for 8 years now, 6months 1st line tech, 2 years 3rd line tech and 5 years as a web designer / systems developer.. i work long hours for average pay and quite honestly if i though that i could switch careers into one that i want to do i'd be off like a shot..

sadly, careers as a Musketeer are thin on the ground, and being fat & unhealthy really puts a stop to being an Astronaught >.<

Soldato
shifty_uk said:
Can someone please define an IT Job?

When I hear IT, I think of an office worker, someone that gets paid to sit and type in spreadsheets and word documents all day. Administration work.

I'd say an IT Job was a job within the field of IT - it's a big spectrum!

Goes basically from phone monkey thru consultant, programmer, developer etc....

Soldato
I raised the same question not long ago, I've worked in IT for a big blue chip firm for 5 years, and found it very un rewarding, all the self study and meeting sla's and 24 hour on call and got no thanks for all my hard work.
Ive been off work due to Ill health and dont really want to go back into IT but I've no idea what else I could do.

Man of Honour
Chaos said:
I raised the same question not long ago, I've worked in IT for a big blue chip firm for 5 years, and found it very un rewarding, all the self study and meeting sla's and 24 hour on call and got no thanks for all my hard work.
Ive been off work due to Ill health and dont really want to go back into IT but I've no idea what else I could do.

What do you enjoy doing? What makes you happy? You have to ask yourself that and try to think of a career to match. Job satisfaction is more important than money but most people often find that the jobs they love doing have a very nice salary as well.

Say for example you loved golf, look into greenkeepng. If you love skydiving, become a skydiving instructor etc..
You may think it's not easy to change career but you just have to do these things. Life is too short to sit around an office which kills you inside. Work hard towards your goal of a better job and a better life and you'll get there. :)

Soldato
I'm really bored of computing (just graduated from my computing degree!) but am looking for a developer job for a year or so. I'm doing this as i have absolutly no idea what else to do, and i'm planning on travelling for a while once i have money (unless the job is so good i don't want to leave!). Hopefully after a year or so, and after some travelling, i'll have more of an idea of what i should be doing :)

Soldato
I'm in the same rut!

IT Helpdesk on pants pay, bored out my mind. I want a change but can't quit work to do training as I need the cash.

I don't have any other qualifications other than IT and no other experiences.

I wish I could role back the clock to when I was 16 just leaving school with my options open. I for sure would not be in IT

Back
Top Bottom