Poll: How many push-ups can you do consecutively?

How many push-ups can you do consecutively?

• 0 - 20

Votes: 87 35.7%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 60 24.6%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 37 15.2%
  • 41 and beyond!

Votes: 60 24.6%

• Total voters

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Confusions aside! :D

Pullups, early last year when I started doing them I could barely complete 3 with perfect form and that's from a knees bent dead hang on my doorway bar. After 3 months I could do 8 per set. The last few months I have only been doing angled pullups though, so knees no longer bent with legs behind me but instead legs fully straight and angled ahead of me which fully engages my core. I then pullup and down slowly making up the up is as slow as the down. I can do about 5 or 6 of these per set. These are extremely hard as your abs are fully engaged and within 24 hours you will feel your abs burning. My goal here is 12 reps per set but I am doing other things to build straight arm and shoulder strength as my main objective from all these is to be able to do the planche and I'm getting there slowly, although I reckon another year before I can pull it off with good form:

Keep in mind slow reps for any push or pullup will result in doing far fewer vs quick good form reps. You could see your reps halve easily by employing time under tension from slow reps but the gains come quicker this way (my experience).

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
:rolleyes: Read the the opening post and look at the program before parroting this line again please.

My bad I had only read the first page of that program and found page navigation to be quite tedious and when I usually encounter poor web design I just exit the site entirely. I had assumed that when people mentioned working out every day earlier that this program is what was being referred to but can see that it states a 3 day a week program, so is actually fine.

Last edited:
Permabanned
My bad I had only read the first p[age of that program and found page navigation to be quite tedious and when I usually encounter poor web design I just exit the site entirely. I had assumed that when people mentioned working out every day earl;ier that this program is what was being referred to but can see that it states a 3 day a week program, so is actually fine.

Same here, no clue as why would I watch a video if someone following it made it out its to be done every day even if not what he actually meant.

I do not need someone on YT to tell me how to get fit etc these old school exercise (the best) are all Army basic training from national service days onwards and unlike most modem fads actually works.

Associate
I'm at about 40 reps nowadays but got 75 out a few years ago in one set. Used to have a great push up challenge at work: Max push up reps in one hour. We had many different strategies i.e. 4/5 reps per minute every minute for an hour whereas some people used to just get as many out as possible in the first set. The day after was hilarious when people had serious DOMs from it!

Associate
I'm at about 40 reps nowadays but got 75 out a few years ago in one set. Used to have a great push up challenge at work: Max push up reps in one hour. We had many different strategies i.e. 4/5 reps per minute every minute for an hour whereas some people used to just get as many out as possible in the first set. The day after was hilarious when people had serious DOMs from it!

Sounds productive!! :D

Caporegime
For those of you that say you can do a lot of pushups I really do wonder how you are actually doing the pushups. I am a pretty fit and strong guy with a relatively high muscle mass proportionate to my body weight and I can do around 15-20 push ups in one set before a reasonable point of failure. My push ups vary between shoulder-width and close-hands and involve being supported by by toes and feet rigid, body rigid, and then I slowly lower myself down and do not allow anything to touch the ground, before slowly going back up. This wrecks! For me, pushups are not about number of repetitions, it's about doing it in good form until point of failure. I can do 3-4 sets depending on my energy levels.

I have also mainly been doing pull ups with varying width of grip 3x a week since the pandemic started and these are also slow and to a longer extension (obviously not with elbows locked) with good form.

For my legs I don't do any specific exercises but I do hike/snowshoe/ski regularly on weekends and during weekdays do a 5.5km power walk with 3x hill sprints pretty much every day.

It was a long and slow process, but my upper body is now starting to get well developed and it's so satisfying to have actual pecs for the first time in my life. In another 3 months and I shall be beach ready and then by this time next year I expect to be pretty damn ripped. If I had known it was this easy and just required a loootttt of time and patience I'd have done it years ago instead of trying to be a gym bunny with all of that protein crap which I never stuck with. :D

Also worth noting is that just before the pandemic even hit the news I had stopped drinking and smoking and have a good diet and get a decent nights sleep and this had a huge effect on my energy levels and general levels of health. I haven't felt this fit since I was in my teens (especially cardio) and was certainly never as strong as now.

Last edited:
Associate
I recently watched a YouTube video where the guy was doing a military fitness test and he was doing x amount of push ups. Banging out a high number very quickly.

Watching the video I laughed at him from the first rep. The guy didn't do a single one, each one high with a bent back. HOWEVER, the host read out the description/criteria of a press up afterwards and his reps met the criteria!

Just goes to show how broken this test is. Anyway, the yanks now do hand release press ups on their test. These are much better as they very hard to cheat. Unsurprisingly the qualification numbers are much reduced.

Caporegime
Been trying to do the odd few push-ups here and there (not following that programme any more), but getting massive problems with shoulders.

Basically my arms are fine, but the second I assume the position, and start doing a push-up, my shoulders scream in pain. And it's not muscular pain but joint pain.

Just going to carry on doing a few every other day, but this would appear to be a problem.

Associate
Been trying to do the odd few push-ups here and there (not following that programme any more), but getting massive problems with shoulders.

Basically my arms are fine, but the second I assume the position, and start doing a push-up, my shoulders scream in pain. And it's not muscular pain but joint pain.

Just going to carry on doing a few every other day, but this would appear to be a problem.

I'd get that checked out ;)

Caporegime

WTF... you have 'screaming joint pain' and are going to 'continue doing push ups every few days'? I mean seriously, go see a doctor you muppet.

Caporegime
WTF... you have 'screaming joint pain' and are going to 'continue doing push ups every few days'? I mean seriously, go see a doctor you muppet.
Knowing my GP, there's no point.

If I go down and say, "Doc, it hurts to do push-ups, but otherwise I'm fine," I can guarantee he'll say, "Don't do push-ups then."

Every time I've been down with an activity-related injury it's been, "It'll have to heal on its own, nothing we can do about it. Take some painkillers."

So yeah, I'd be better off asking Mystic Meg for an answer.

Back
Top Bottom