How much are bills

Soldato
Hello
I know i've made a thread similar to this before but have more details now.
I earn approx 120/wk (minus however much tax i get taxed for). I am 17, still in college (3 days a wk). Going to move out with mates.

We've found a house, 800/mo, 3 bed flat, so about 240/mo each. thats not inc any bills etc.

How much can you expect either per wk or per month to spend on:
Food (i am a veggie so this might cost more)
Gas/Elec
Water
Council Tax (its in canterbury near the city center)

Also need to afford a moped, but this won't be much.

Also are there any benifits (say i'm scrounging etc. But i'm still in education so can't work 5 days a week) either I could take, or other people i'm moving in with (3 others (2 in one room), all 17/18, all in college))?

Thanks

Soldato
How long is a piece of string?
Seriously, it really depends on how you spread your money around. Whatever money you have, your lifestyle will reflect it. You could eat Asda 6p noodles every day for minimal shop bill or live off cheap canned foods, or buy fresh meat every day...

As for amenity bills - for two of us in a flat at the moment are paying £30 a month for electricity (but we are paying over the odds and should get some money back). Then you may choose to have internet access, £14.99 for broadband a month, plus say £10 line rental...
Water is a LOT more than you expect if thats not included in the rent.
I could give you more figures, but its something you really have to budget yourself.

In all honesty, I see £120 per week not really cutting it if you want to live comfortably and be healthy.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not going to go into exact details, but all our outgoings that are house related are roughly between £700-£800 per month. That includes mortgage and any sort of house/life insurance. Not sure if that includes food shopping or not.

Add a further £200pm for the car loan, and £100 odd whenever the water rates are due.

£1000 a month covers it before we can buy any luxuries :p

Man of Honour
Chronicle said:
Hello
I know i've made a thread similar to this before but have more details now.
I earn approx 120/wk (minus however much tax i get taxed for). I am 17, still in college (3 days a wk). Going to move out with mates.

We've found a house, 800/mo, 3 bed flat, so about 240/mo each. thats not inc any bills etc.

How much can you expect either per wk or per month to spend on:
Food (i am a veggie so this might cost more)
Gas/Elec
Water
Council Tax (its in canterbury near the city center)

Also need to afford a moped, but this won't be much.

Also are there any benifits (say i'm scrounging etc. But i'm still in education so can't work 5 days a week) either I could take, or other people i'm moving in with (3 others (2 in one room), all 17/18, all in college))?

Thanks

Food depends where ya shop waitrose expensive, tesco cheap :)
Gas has just gone up i have a 4 bed house and im paying just over £200 a qauter and elec is about £150... its very expensive and im on one of the cheapest providers... Water im guessing will be expensive in canterbury its over £100 here in sheffield so you will be payin £150 at minimum... and council tax is a pain... so become a student :) dont have to pay it

Soldato
Me....

Rent: £250
Gas + Leccy: £50
Phone: £25
Water: £23
TV License: £10.99
Petrol/Car Costs: £30
Food: £100ish
Luxery Goods: £30ish (Sometimes more, sometimes nothing depends what i want :p)
Total: £518.99

I have someone else pay my net, and as im a student i dont pay tax however.

beh

beh

Associate
Chronicle said:
TBH not *that* much difference between moving out now or if i went to uni and move out in a couple of years...

Hmm, unless you have some great motivation to move out I just don't see the need for it. You've still got a couple years that you can enjoy the convenience of living at home without the worries of things like rent and bills.

Anyway, at uni I think I spend about 450pm inclusive of rent, bills, and food.

Soldato
beh said:
Hmm, unless you have some great motivation to move out I just don't see the need for it. You've still got a couple years that you can enjoy the convenience of living at home without the worries of things like rent and bills.

Anyway, at uni I think I spend about 450pm inclusive of rent, bills, and food.
Amen Brother, dont move out unless you have to.... its realy not worth it..... leach off your parents for as long as you can ;)

Soldato
and even when you do move out see if you can con your mother into doing your ironing/washing for you. I had the ace excuse of genuinely not having enough cash for a washing machine straight away.. 6 years later I bought one :p

Back
Top Bottom