How much are you paying for your internet

Associate
£25 for Sky 80/20, but VM is waiting in the winds, they have laid the new fancy 1 gig outside and if it wasn't for my driveway being 100% paved I would have taken it ages ago.
I stare at that darn access point at the end of the driveway daily! :o

Soldato
OP
£25 for Sky 80/20, but VM is waiting in the winds, they have laid the new fancy 1 gig outside and if it wasn't for my driveway being 100% paved I would have taken it ages ago.
I stare at that darn access point at the end of the driveway daily! :o
do they rip up your driveway to get the cable in? i would imagine they would run it in the flower bed or along the wall somewhere. i just had VM installed about 6 months ago. pricing is not as good considering the upload speed is merely 10mbps.

however i just ran a speedtest this morning on my plusnet line, it is only getting 30mbps as normally 60mbps

Associate
I'm currently on BT Fibre 1 (with w/e calls) for £25.81 pm (which inc. a £8pm discount which ends on 4th Oct). I manage about 33-38Mb d/l and 1-3Mb u/l.

I've just started the ball rolling in switching to Vodafone Gigafast 500, for £33pm which they've told me I'll get (up to) 500/69Mbps.

Once my BT discount expires I would be paying more than that for significantly lower speeds. The closest advertised package I've seen with BT is their Full Fibre 100 for £29.99 + £9.99 for 150/30. So VF seems like a no-brainer. Just a pity I couldn't go via TCB/Quidco.

Soldato
Can I ask how you got this - not seeing that deal anywhere on their website.
Last few days of October I called up and enquired about virgin services (having had cable laid early 90's but never using the service (used sky & some form of BT)
Initially I asked only about 350 Meg BB. Was given a price. I was then asked if I took a tivo box and landline I could get it all for £56. I kept asking what I'd need, in the end I wanted just one tivo box with maxit tv (XL) no sports or movies. 350 BB and a phoneline with no extra features. A few conversations went back and forth and when I started to flinch on the price plus what I really only needed the chap suddenly said "oh with this deal you get a 4g sim (unlimited unlimited and 4.5 gig data). Adding up what I had <sky was £36, BB with plusnet (74 Meg max) & phoneline was £34 and 1 sim with plusnet that was £9 the virgin deal seemed a no brainer and with a so called free sim in the mix now aswell and the 350 Meg BB soon to be 500meg for same price if I agreed come end of December I get this deal.
I'd recommend if you don't have virgin just go in with the broadband only and then they start to add services within that price to seal the deal. I got it fixed for 18 months. Does me untill renewal. Vdsl at my location seems no plans to improve it and Gfast services on the BT system seems flakey at best (upto 150 my house and 250 various other locations). FTTH is unlikely soon as my area has virgin cable.
Can't knock the virgin broadband speeds and the tivo box although not SkyQ in features and function does what I need. I have no need for sky Atlantic or sports or movies. These are aquired elsewhere.

Last edited:
Soldato
Last few days of October I called up and enquired about virgin services (having had cable laid early 90's but never using the service (used sky & some form of BT)
Initially I asked only about 350 Meg BB. Was given a price. I was then asked if I took a tivo box and landline I could get it all for £56. I kept asking what I'd need, in the end I wanted just one tivo box with maxit tv (XL) no sports or movies. 350 BB and a phoneline with no extra features. A few conversations went back and forth and when I started to flinch on the price plus what I really only needed the chap suddenly said "oh with this deal you get a 4g sim (unlimited unlimited and 4.5 gig data). Adding up what I had <sky was £36, BB with plusnet (74 Meg max) & phoneline was £34 and 1 sim with plusnet that was £9 the virgin deal seemed a no brainer and with a so called free sim in the mix now aswell and the 350 Meg BB soon to be 500meg for same price if I agreed come end of December I get this deal.
I'd recommend if you don't have virgin just go in with the broadband only and then they start to add services within that price to seal the deal. I got it fixed for 18 months. Does me untill renewal. Vdsl at my location seems no plans to improve it and Gfast services on the BT system seems flakey at best (upto 150 my house and 250 various other locations). FTTH is unlikely soon as my area has virgin cable.
Can't knock the virgin broadband speeds and the tivo box although not SkyQ in features and function does what I need. I have no need for sky Atlantic or sports or movies. These are aquired elsewhere.
Thanks a lot for posting.

Associate
I'm paying £35 a month for HyperOptic Fibreoptic broadband 150mb. Crazy good considering previously I had TalkTalk 6mb (that was the best I could be offered before they installed HyperOptic).

For those who lives in flats and gets offered HyperOptic I can only suggest and recommend that you sign up for it. Great up and download speeds with very rare downtimes. If there will be engineering works needed you will get plenty of notice from them too. HyperOptic will also install a dedicated fibre connection to each flat from their hub that they will install in the building.

Back
Top Bottom