How much do you spend on takeaway a week?

Soldato
For the two of us, probably works out around £80 a month, although it's not every week, although some weeks we might have 2 takeaways depending on what's going on.

We mostly try and eat local independents, in fact i normally prefer it. Our local indy pizzeria has a deal on for a large pizza, two sides of fries and two cans of drink for £10 incl delivery. If you ordered something similar at Dominos you'd be lucky to get it for under £20.

If we go to the chippy, i'm not a fan of battered fish, and the missus normally finds the portions too big, so our order is usually 2 large sausages, a large chips, and some curry sauce, which can be anywhere from about £3-5. So that really lowers our average spend.

Caporegime
its impossible to make better curry, indian, shish/kofte kebab / pizza at home - nothing comes close to dominos and thar garlic & herb dip.

If it's impossible to make it at home, then how do people with very little cooking experience make it in these takeaways that are essentially converted houses?

I would agree that some of the better takeaways are hard to beat with people who've been cooking in their chosen cuisine for decades but with a bit of effort, it's not difficult to cook better food.

An example would be a decent outdoor pizza oven, it makes a much nicer pizza than the grease-filled ones most takeaways offer. Dominoes may use decent pizza ovens but they're still very hit and miss, I've had more than a handful of awful ones.

Permabanned
Probably about 50-60 a month. Once every other week.

its impossible to make better curry, indian, shish/kofte kebab / pizza at home - nothing comes close to dominos and thar garlic & herb dip.

Nah, it can just be difficult without the right ingredients and equipment. We make all of those at home, arguably as good. Not to mention time consuming. (Not the dominos sauce though as we dont have a decent supply of the crack they put in it)

Soldato
If it's impossible to make it at home, then how do people with very little cooking experience make it in these takeaways that are essentially converted houses?

I would agree that some of the better takeaways are hard to beat with people who've been cooking in their chosen cuisine for decades but with a bit of effort, it's not difficult to cook better food.

An example would be a decent outdoor pizza oven, it makes a much nicer pizza than the grease-filled ones most takeaways offer. Dominoes may use decent pizza ovens but they're still very hit and miss, I've had more than a handful of awful ones.

impossibles the wrong word i suppose. Lets say ‘very difficult’.
Dominoes is very consistent in SE London, have ordered from several stores and never had a quality issue.

Associate
Luckily I live in an area that has a grand total of 4 restaurants on Just Eat and there's no Deliveroo or Uber Eats where I am...so the temptation to get food delivered is almost non-existent.

We'll maybe spend around £20-25 every 3-4 months one simple foods like pizza or kebab, but twice a year we'll spend around £40-50 on a good Indian/Thai curry instead.

Soldato
had a lovely Chinese last night, £27, i was at my parents and accidentally sent it to my own house. Luckily the driver had no issues nipping it to another address :)

Caporegime
20-25 a week.

Less at the moment as domino's aren't doing the good pizzas (I don't mean hawaiian, I'm not a cretin) so just getting supermarket pizzas.

Chinese/pizza once a week is typical. And comes to 20 a week. Halved at the moment due to domino's

Now k want takeaway tonigh .

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Zero, I can cook better myself.

The majority of takeaways in the UK are disgusting cess pits of tasteless out of date/frozen cack.

Soldato
impossibles the wrong word i suppose. Lets say ‘very difficult’.
Dominoes is very consistent in SE London, have ordered from several stores and never had a quality issue.
I definitely make better pizza than Domino's, and kebabs, as good curry as the takeaways as well. Chinese not so much haven't mastered that yet.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Its not about liking cooking, its about looking after yourself its a life skill forget all this poncy chef business and expensive lists of ingredients, that is when you like cooking or looking to impress the ladies. (All woman love to eat, stay away from the skinny ones, they are good for taking to a restaurant) for your sinful ways :)

Takes zero skill to wrap up a chicken breast in tin foil with some butter/oil and half a lemon, cut up a heap of veg poor over some olive oil salt and pepper & bang around the chicken parcel in an oven for 20mins at 180c. Hell i often do that but lower the temp to 140c bash out a 5k run in 25-30mins get back home give the pan a shake wack up the heat to 180c shower and its done :)

Soldato
Chicken n Veg isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when I think of a takeaway :p

Chicken curry is doable at home tho and can taste as good as takeaway...better even
Just using Sharwoods sauces etc...one of the quickest things to make

Soldato
Takeaway is probably a monthly thing for us - so probably averages to around £5 - £10 /week if you want to spread the cost out.
If we're going to get takeway it is usually a convenience thing - a Friday when neither of us can be bothered to cook, a Saturday evening when we've left it too late to prepare anything, or go shopping!
Pet peeve - people who say they are "getting takeaway as a treat" and then name somewhere like KFC or McDonalds - that aint no treat.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Chicken n Veg isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when I think of a takeaway :p

Chicken curry is doable at home tho and can taste as good as takeaway...better even
Just using Sharwoods sauces etc...one of the quickest things to make

True but the amount of folk in this thread spending on takeaways is frightening (your wrong about sharwoods sauces though, Pataks curry paste all the way:) )

Back
Top Bottom