1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How much for clutch?

Discussion in 'Motors' started by Teifiterror, 1 Feb 2006.

1. Teifiterror

Wise Guy

Got an L reg rover 214sli (Yes I Know! im a student!).

Clutch needs replacing and was wondering what sort of price id be looking at to get it done? And how long should it take the garage to do if I take it in?

Thanks

2. moss

Soldato

It should take a garage no more than 4 hours to replace the clutch, quite probably less than that. Price wise £50-£90 for a new clutch depending on the make, labour obviously depends on the garage.

3. Teifiterror

Wise Guy

cheers! will pop in tommorow then.

4. Enfield

Soldato

4 hours?!

I had my clutch done for £125 (2 hours) labour only, (I supplied the clutch - £40 refurbished).

Find your local Mr Clutch.

5. -Mike-

Capodecina

You paid £125 for two hours labour? or £85 for two hours labour? Why would you buy a refurbished clutch?! :confused:

6. Enfield

Soldato

Yes, it's far better than what every other garage quoted me! The 2nd lowest quote I got was £300, and the highest was £350 I think.

The refurbished clutch was £20 cheaper.

7. -Mike-

Capodecina

What were they doing? coating everything they touched in diamond? Maybe I'm well off but for me to have a gearbox and clutch changed my mechanic wants £80 maximum for both jobs. How much was the clutch and for what car?

8. Enfield

Soldato

What are you talking about?

I mentioned the price of the clutch in my first post.

Who said I had a gearbox changed?

I bought the car for £450. The clutch needed changing, so I bought the cheapest one because I was going to sell it, (it being the car).

9. tb2000

Wise Guy

I would probably have charged about 100 quid plus the clutch (+vat). Takes more than 2 hours, that's for sure (the job doesn't always go right, seized bolts, etc always make the job longer), but you could do it in a morning easy.

10. Big Spender

Wise Guy

theres an add up in my shop for someone sellin a 214 sli for £450, im mighty tempted as just a cheap run-about to get my ncb up, whats it like to drive etc?

11. Teifiterror

Wise Guy

to be honest it aint a bad car at all, and pretty cheap to run. Thin is this one ive only got for a year as im on placement and it has 120k on the clock. Besides the clutch its going strong though!

12. -Mike-

Capodecina

I never implied you had a gearbox changed.... I'm simply saying that the guy who is doing mine wants less in labour for a gearbox change and clutch.

13. Teifiterror

Wise Guy

took it in this morning and haggled my way from 250 down to 200. Was in a rush so I took that.

14. Simon

Capodecina

Gearbox has to come off to change clutch, so it's no different for the garage to fit an old one or fit a different one.

£125 seems a hell of a lot for 2 hours, but then again the job is quoted at 4 hours.

15. agw_01

Capodecina

I had my gearbox changed on my 214 before Christmas.

Cost £100 for a new box and £80 fitting. The guy said it took him about 3 hours. Can't complain at that.

16. agw_01

Capodecina

Don't do it! First you'll be saying it's a cheap runabout, and soon you'll be like Tesla, and say it's actually quite a good car :eek: :D

You can do a lot worse than a 214 though. Good performance, comfortable ride, power steering, most of them have electric windows at least... The only thing I don't like about mine is that the clutch can be a bit heavy.

Mine's never skipped a beat either (everybody who's been to a meet with me can shut up right now :rolleyes: :p)

17. thebrasso

Soldato

I'm gonna pimp the 214 here as my dad has had three of them a while back.

For new drivers, a bit more poke than a 1.0 Fiesta, more comfortable, and most of all lots of second hand parts available from what I've seen.

When I had some inheritance through I wish I'd got a cheap runaround and got some NCB then get something quicker once I'm into a proper career. I can handle the running costs of my Civic but the insurance is a killer.

Ok, I've taken the thread off topic there but oh well :p