How much sleep do you actually need ?

Associate
Me and the other half both need at least 8 hours sleep. I guess everyone needs different amounts, one person I know only sleeps 2 hours MAX a night for the past 16 years and is perfectly fine :confused:

Soldato
Well, ermmmm, i seem to be getting worse as time goes on. Im going to bed between 1:30 and 2 and getting up between 7:30 and 8 most of the time, but if im off the next day ill kip till about 11 in the morning.

Soldato
between 6 and 10 most nights for me, it varies depending on what i have to do in the day

i can quite happily sleep for 12 hours if i feel like, granted that'll probably be a wake up then fall back to sleep rather than straight sleep :p

i had 3 hours on wednesday night :( felt like absolute crap on thursday morning, think i had 7-8 hours last night

Permabanned
andy8271 said:
pffft during the day is for "normal" stuff

and night is for quizmania

no time for sleep :D

Heh, I always find myself watching quizmania into the early hours of the morning. I have no intention whatsoever of phoning in, I just find it entertaining for some reason :confused:

Soldato
I always have 8 - 8.5 hours sleep, weekend or weekday.

Weekday:
11Pm > 7:30Am

Weekend:

1Am > 9:30AM (or there abouts)

Wish i could get more sleep on weekdays, but i can only feel tired at 11 pm, ive tried to go to bed at 9, and i still end up falling asleep at 11, even if im just laying there. Dont mind the weekend though, i get into a nice deep sleep at 1 :D and wake up around half 9 :)

G

Soldato
i can survive fine on about 6 hours, but the last couple of years i've had on and off insommnia, so i regularly don't get to sleep until 4 or 5am, and even then i'm up again at 8am. Don't feel too bad, although i wish i could sleep more easily.

Soldato
Here's a few things that might help, these are from my personal experience with apnea. I noticed a few people mention things that worry me a little and to be honest if you've got a few of these symptoms (that I had) you really should be thinking about seeing a doctor or speaking to your partner (who can listen to you sleeping).

1. Waking with a dry mouth or sore throat frequently. sometimes so severe your tongue is dried to your cheek or roof of your mouth (fun trying to talk).
2. Odd sounds, choking noises when you breathe (noticed by partner) when your sleeping.
3. Pauses in breathing (noticed by your partner) when sleeping.
4. Waking up with a mouth full of vomit and/or having coughed up vomit onto your sheets when you wake up (and not even having been drinking).
5. Going to bed for sleep (not nookie) and feeling more tired in the morning.
6. Extreme tireness all day, lack of concentration. nodding off at the wheel of your car, unable to concentrate on ANYTHING for more than a minute or two.
7. Going to bed for more than a few hours (varies depending on how bad apnea is) you wake up with a "hang over" where your getting extreme headaches or even migraines and the only way to cure them is by getting more sleep!
8. Lastly noticing that your waking up several times a night. With apnea you might not notice yourself waking up as you fall asleep again so fast. Example was me waking up 30/40 times a hour at times but I only thought I was waking up half a dozen times a night.

I lived with this for years because I didnt really think about it until my GF started complaining about how I was choking during the night and she'd lie there listening for my breathing because it stopped so often for 1-1.5minutes.

Oddly now I sleep like a baby thanks to having a CPAP machine :) So if you do think you have any of these symptoms pop along to your GP, if they agree you'll have a simple test at a hospital sleep clinic. Remember living with apnea and ignoring it can raise your blood pressure and stop you performing for the woman in your life ;) There are all symptoms I had or noticed AFTER I was diagnosed with it. You don't have to be 50+ to get/have it, I was diagnosed ON my 30th birthday and was told that anyone at any age can have it. Oh since being diagnosed I've also lost over 2.5 stone in weight! talk about benefit!

More info: http://www.newtechpub.com/phantom/faq/osa_faq.htm

Man of Honour
Minimum of 3 - prefer 6ish...however recently been lazing out with 7. :D

Other half needs around 8 hours a day...and would like another 10 at night too

Simon/~Flibster

Zip

Zip

Soldato
last year my days were very very mixed up
Awake for 24-36 hours then sleep for 12. i did that for about a week:D

Ive had so many different sleeping patterns i dont know what my body likes most

Soldato
Hey Kami, a big big thanks for this. This comes as a bit of a revelation to me, maybe this is the answer to my problems? I certainly have a few of those symptoms and have done for years.

Associate
At least 10-15 hours. I'm just a lazy bugger.

When I was younger, I could survive on 2-3 hours a day tops. My feckless youth.

Soldato
Jimbo said:
Hey Kami, a big big thanks for this. This comes as a bit of a revelation to me, maybe this is the answer to my problems? I certainly have a few of those symptoms and have done for years.

Probably a few other things that it could be but always worth getting it checked out if you have a few of them. At least note down any symptoms you see over the course of a week or so and see if you think you have enough of them to warrant asking for a GP appointment.

Soldato
I get about 4-5 hours of sleep each night. I go to bed around 1am and get up at 7.30am but find I wake up every 45mins or so and it takes me a good 20-30mins to fall back to sleep. I used to have a lot of trouble falling asleep but now I usually read the news or something on my phone and find i'm ready to sleep after that. If something is on my mind then I can forget alltogether about sleeping which unfortunately happens quite regularly :(. I am always very tired in the morning - afternoon but then I start to liven up a bit in the evening. I find that I catch up on my sleep on a Friday night when I could easily sleep 8-9 hours without wakeing up.

Associate
Dutch Guy said:
I used to sleep ~6 hours a day but during the weekend my body had to catch up

One thing ive always wondered is can you actually catch up on sleep? Like does it all accumulate - like you have 4 hours one night but then sleep 12 the next and thats the same (body repairs etc) wise as getting 8 hours on each night?

Back
Top Bottom